We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser island - need advice!

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
2 posts
Save Topic
Fraser island - need advice!

Hi everyone,

I am planning on going to fraser island with some friends over new years... I have heard mixed reviews and hear that there are stingers, crocodiles and Mosquitos! What should I be expecting? Need some honest opinions on whether this is a trip worth making (15hour drive!)

Thanks! Look forward to hearing your thoughts??

Mel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser island - need advice!

Haven't heard of Crocodiles on Fraser or stingers for that matter, that's not to stay that stingers could come & go.

As for Mosquito's, well along with Midgee's yes that can be rife, especially at sunrise & sunset. You can mix up your own repellant of 50/50 Baby oil & dethol. It may make you smell very antisepticsally clean but it tends to be a great repellant. Just don't go out in the sun during the day without a sunscreen as well as baby oil is very conducive to severe burning in the sun.

New Year's Eve on Fraser Island can be a fantastic fun time, albeit it very very busy in the main areas.

Fraser Is. is definitely worth a visit at least once in your lifetime. Sand & beaches are gorgeous just be aware of cars & planes on the beach & steer clear of the dingoes.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser island - need advice!

Fraser Island is fantastic. Ideally you and your friends can rent a 4x4 and go camping. Don't worry about crocs - although the island is a breeding ground for tiger sharks (not sure about the season) - and don't forget the dingoes, the purest dingo population is Oz (no interbreeding w feral dogs) - we had dingoes come into our campsite at night it was very cool if slightly scary.

definitely go!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,855 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser island - need advice!

Swimming in the ocean is not a safe thing to do on Fraser Island, sharks and possible stingers, yes, but I'm yet to see a croc. You might see some people swimming in the ocean but IMO they're tempting fate. There could be Tiger sharks but seriously IMO they're not the dominant shark species on Fraser Island, personally I've seen many many bronzed whaler, so don't go swimming in the ocean, if you swim in the creeks and lakes you'll be fine.

Mozzies yes, but the midges (sandflies) IMO are worse, buy a bottle of Rid. And as Happydaze stated they leave their hiding spots at sunset, but you will still find them in the shady areas during the day. To be honest I don't find Fraser Islands bug problem any worse than anywhere else that's not habitated.

As the others above have pointed out Fraser has everything and can get extremely busy the time you re going (that's why I go in winter, and the fishing is better), and with common sense you will have a great time and see one of the most wonderful places on the planet.

Safe travels - Robert

4. Re: Fraser island - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 10:16