We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Topic
Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

I have started this thread in an effort to assist future visitors to the region, as it has been disheartening this season to see SO many people travel SO far to visit our amazing destination and then be disappointed by not being able to get on a tour!

There were occasions during last year's whale watch season that the small group tours were fully booked up to 2 weeks in advance.

There have been regular occasions where ALL Fraser Island Tours have been fully booked up to 4 days in advance.

Self-drive / 4wd hire - you should book at least 4 weeks in advance for self-drive (regardless of time of year).

Lady Elliot - can be fully booked up to 3 weeks in advance.

PLEASE be aware that most small group tours close their manifests for the following day as early as 5pm on the day prior to travel. We have had a multitude of visitors arrive after 7pm and wanting to do a Fraser Tour the next day ... this will mostly not be possible (particularly on a Sunday!!).

We have an amazing region, and the local operators are passionate about sharing this destination with our many visitors ... to avoid disappointment, please plan ahead and pre-book your tours (regardless of the time of the year).

Rob

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Thanks Rob, good advice, and agree when there's a destination that has many activities, and one of those activities is very seasonal and special like whale watching, it's worth booking ahead to avoid disappointment. I'll keep this Post in my shortcuts for future use.

Cheers

Robert

Oz
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Hi,

Great advice but really if people can't plan ahead IMHO they get what they deserve. Maybe they will learn something for next time!

Cheers,

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Dear Rob

My family (husband, son 12, daughter 10) is going to Australia for 3 weeks over April and as you have contributed so knowledgeably to so many of the posts I wanted to seek your advice - I hope that is ok! I am a keen diver but have never seen a turtle, my husband is a keen but much less experienced diver, my son will be seeking certification and my daughter (much to her disgust) will just be snorkelling! We will be starting off from Melbourne and there seems to be lots to do in the Immediate area but then we want to dive and possible do rainforest or island. Having been to Fraser many years ago and been entranced by it, I am tempted to take them there but not if the are alternatives that tie in more easily with ability to dive the GBR with our mixed abilities, and especially the best chance to see a turtle! Do we need to go all the way to Cairns in your opinion from where we could do rainforest, or would we be better off diving lower down and taking in Fraser or Lady Elizabeth? Best

Kirsty

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Doh - sorry meant Elliot!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Hi,

Kirstyinthesun2013 probably best to start your own thread or PM Bob :-)

Obviously you need to go to the tropics to see tropical rainforest. However there are world heritage Cool Temperate Rainforests and Sub-tropical rainforests in NSW and SE QLD that will more than give you and the mozzies and the leaches your fill. Werrikimbe, Mt Warning, The Border Ranges, Lamington, Green Mountain to name a few.

Lady Elliot has spectacular diving and snorkling off the beach,

Cheers,

Edited: 10 February 2014, 20:04
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Thank you Oz - good advice on all fronts :)

Lady Elliot looking a bit on the pricey side. Any advice on other good turtle locations? Cheers Kirsty

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

Hi Kirsty,

Fraser Island and Lady Elliot sound like they tick most of your boxes. The southern Great Barrier Reef (Heron, Lady Eliiot) arguably has better colour and diversity of marine and coral life than anywhere on the east coast. Lady Elliot is a true coral attol where you can step right off the beach and be on the reef. It has amazing snorkelling and diving and LOTS of turtles and manta rays. Both Fraser and Lady Elliot are accessible from Hervey Bay.

Whilst diving is awesome on Lady Elliot, they are all shallow dives anyway, so most of the lighthouse side dive sites can be free dived by those with experience. Other dive opportunities to check out if you are coming to Qld .. the HMAS Brisbane off the Sunshine Coast is a good (relatively new) wreck dive. The SS Yongala off Ayr in northern Qld is a famous and great quality wreck dive. If you are in Hervey Bay Wolf Rock is worth checking out from Rainbow Beach (1 1/4 hr drive) - awesome underwater pinnacle formations where you can dive with grey nurse sharks.

Rob

8. Re: Do I need to prebook Fraser, Whales and Lady Elliot Tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:18