We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

Buenos Aires...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

Hi there!

We´re a family group (8 adults and 2 kids) traveling from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.

Our flight arrives at 10.55am to Hervey Bay Airport, we´ll stay for a night at Fraser.

Which 4wd rental company can you recommend? Should I found one in the airport? Or perhaps on the Barge?

We´ll need two 4wd.

Thanks a lot for the advise!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,491 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

Hi,

Unless you are experienced in beach/sand track driving I think you would be wise to take a tour. Where abouts are you staying?

Cheers,

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
497 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

Hi Belinda,

Firstly you will need to prebook a 4wd well in advance. You will not be able to get a vehicle "at the airport" or "on the barge".

You will be required to do a 1 hr briefing prior to departure (required by law) which means you would only be able to get the 3:30pm or 4:00pm barge to the island at best (not arriving until 4:30pm +). You will pay a full days car rental for this day and not have time to go anywhere on the island.

For the following day you can catch the 5pm barge back from the island which would at least give you enough time to see a bit of Fraser.

You will need an operator willing to do an unscheduled briefing, and also close to the airport. Fraser Magic and Atlas are close to the airport and may be willing to do that (if it is offpeak when you are travelling)- but you will need to contact them well in advance to make arrangements.

You will also need to consider where you stay on the island (camping or accommodated) and whether you need to shop for food prior to departure.

In my opinion your itinerary is too tight and optimistic and you should add a day or 2 - stay the first night in Hervey Bay, do your briefing and shopping that day and get the first barge across (6:45am) the following day.

Rob

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

Agree with posts 1 & 2, and have a look at the video I came across last night. It shows you what driving on Fraser Island can be like, I don't endorse this video, in actual fact what the drivers do on occasions is down right ridiculous, and I'm surprised none were hurt, or had more damage done to their cars. I'm only posting it to show what driving conditions on Fraser Island can be like, and I've been there when it's even worse. The video shows a very wet Fraser Island, and this is rare, it's normally dry, making the tracks even deeper and harder to navigate.

Think about a tour with such a short stopover, or as Rob said, stay longer.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 04 February 2014, 21:32
4. Re: 4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 14:27
5. Re: 4WD from Hervey Bay Airport to Fraser Island.-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:19