We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heron vs day trip to outer reef

bangkok
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
heron vs day trip to outer reef

hi friends

i am traveling with wife and two small kids. planning to spend two nights at daintree forest and two nights at heron island...i have one dilemma on whether to insert one more night at port douglas to do the outer reef day trip or not - is it still necessary considering we are also spending two nights at heron island as well...we are slightly worried about the rough sea ride on catamaran so taking heli from gladstone to heron (so already getting a scenic flight) - also to do a day trip on a heli (since we do not want the catamaran) from cairns/port douglas would be doubly expensive (for the day trip) which i dont mind doing, provided the same is worth it and necessary in spite of staying at heron

we are going to snorkel for the first time and none of us knows swimming - however we love marine life sighting. can we snorkel without knowing how to swim ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heron vs day trip to outer reef

If you don't know how to swim then snorkelling will be a huge problem and probably doing the tour to the GBR on http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/

would be your best and safest option.

…au.com/Compare/non-swimmers.htm

I advice strongly NOT to try and swim without proper supervision ( Snorkelling Safety Officers ) or use of life jackets and bouyancy aids.

There are numerous options available on the Quicksilver tours for a non-swimmer, you can see the reef up close during a helmet “dive”. Breathing fresh air delivered from the surface into your helmet, you will walk underwater on a reef platform - you can even wear your glasses if you wish! Oceanwalker is suitable for anyone aged over 12 years "

EM.

bangkok
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: heron vs day trip to outer reef

Thanks EM.

But i am already staying at heron island for 2 nights so wont visiting Low Isles be redundant considering one can get the same experience at Low Isles will be the same at Heron Island.

My dilemma is whether to do the outer reef day trip as well or my two-night stay at heron island makes the outer reef trip redundant

cheers

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heron vs day trip to outer reef

Yes Heron Island only is the way to go but you and your family had better get some snorkelling gear and go practise in your local pool. Learn how to clear a snorkell and build up some confidence otherwise you'll be wasting your time and much money going to Heron.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heron vs day trip to outer reef

I now see your children are 6 and 3. Far too young to snorkell or take directions!

I'd cancel Heron (if not too late) and just do the big Quicksilver cat trip to Agincourt Reef out of Port Douglas.

5. Re: heron vs day trip to outer reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 05:20