We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

Which Lizard Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

This seems to be a popular topic....which island is best value when comparing luxury, food and snorkelling. My fiance and I facing this delimma as to which island would be best suited to elope on, have a romantic honeymoon, enjoy wonderful food and snorkel. We are looking at going in October 2009. Lizard is most expensive when adding on the transfer flights and wedding package ~ $4000 more than Orpheus for 5 nights, whilst Bedarra sits in the middle ~$2000 more expensive than Orpheus. Can anyone help us decide as ~$4000 difference is quite significant?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

Wow – and good on you. What a fantastic idea – eloping to a romantic island (though how are you managing the actual "I do" thing?)

Just to throw a spanner in the works – have you thought about Wilson Island (fewer people).

Having said that – I have had issues with Voyages' premium destinations. Not as customer focussed as they should be at that price.

Melbourne
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

I went and checked out Wilson Islands web site through Voyages, and yes whilst it does look nice, we want something a little more comfortable than the tents and I'm not sure about having to eat at a communal table in the evening whilst on honeymoon. I would definately consider it for another time.

In terms of managing the "I do" bit, the resorts offer wedding packages covering everything from celebrant, witnesses if you need them, flowers, cake, photography etc. It is all organised for you without any stress.

I have now taken Bedarra out of the equation as it isn't great for snorkelling. We are leaning more towards Orpheus than Lizard based on reviews and the intimate service offered.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

Confused_eloper, we are in the throes of planning our wedding (early November 2008) and wish that we'd had the good sense to elope!

We will be honeymooning on Lizard Island and I'll write a review when I return (late Nov). I know that doesn't help you now but you've got a while to plan. I can send you a PM when we get back if you like.

Wilson Island is gorgeous (that's where my partner proposed actually) and we thought we might go back there for our honeymoon but, like you, decided we wanted something a bit more luxurious. We're going to go back for our first anniversary instead.

Also like you, we looked at Bedarra, Orpheus and Lizard. Bedarra was ruled out because there's no reef off the beach. Then it was a toss up and we opted for Lizard because we've had such great experiences staying at other Voyages resorts.

The other difference from memory was that Lizard includes food and drinks in the package whereas Orpheus doesn't include drinks. We like the idea of not being concerned with money once we're there. And with the Voyages all inclusive package they really lay it on. I guess we know what to expect and so feel more comfortable spending the extra money.

Melbourne
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

Templc74...I will be interested to here about your stay at Lizard, a friend of mine honeymooned there in January and speaks very highly of the resort and service offered.

I hope we end up making the right decision as both islands sound great, but for some reason my gut keeps telling me to try Orpheus. I have been speaking to someone on trip advisor who has visited Lizard twice (staying in pavillion), Bedarra once and Orpheus once...is now going back to Orpheus this xmas for another 10 day stay b/c they love the intimate service offered, and the food is supposedly better than Bedarra and Lizard. I realise the accommodation may be a bit dated, but at Lizard we can only afford to stay in the most basic room. I too like the idea of an all-inclusive package (food, wine, accommodation), but I guess we just have to set aside some money to cover the alcohol.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

Confused_eloper, I'll be in touch once we're back (second half of November) and let you know what we thought about it. We're foodies and we love to snorkel so I'll try to give you a detailed report.

We're booked into an Anchor Bay Suite, which I think is the step down from the Pavilion. But I'm still considering changing that to a Sunset Point Villa which look like they might be more private.

Not sure...and totally over making wedding related decisions! You have definitely made the right decision to elope. Given that choice again we'd elope too. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,813 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

it really depnds on which Anchor Bay Suite you get. We had 32 last year and never saw another person...the one from 27(?) up are fine the few near the restaurant are not so private.

IME the sunset point villas don't offer any more privacy than the beach front anchor bays. teh disadvantage may be the climb up the hill in the dark after dinner.

We are there in 2 weeks and have the kids in Sunset point and we are in Anchor Suite. I think we are in 29 and 7. 7 has the access steps to the beach right in front...but hey I don't think my kids are looking for romance. ; 0

For an Anchor bay room my pick would be 17 (we actually tried to get this room for the kids) as it has water glimpses but no through traffic.

if you contact Voyages direct they will give you a non cofirmed room location.

7. Re: Orpheus vs Lizard vs Bedarra Island for eloping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 22:24
Get answers to your questions about Lizard Island