We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

London
6 posts
Save Topic
6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

We have been convinced by Airlian and all his amazing posts to extend our vacation in Australia to include 6 nights in the Whitsunday Islands in the last week of November. Probably basing ourselves in Airlie Beach, unless anyone has any better suggestions!

My partner wants to do a couple of dives, I only snorkel. We like the idea of doing one of the 3 day/night sails so we can see the Islands. Would for example Pacific Sunrise accomodate the diving or would it be better to book a separate diving day trip for him?

Any suggestions for what else we can do whilst we are there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance T x

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

Dooks it sounds like you've read my posts so I'll let some other suggestions come through. I will say that Pacific Sunrise does cater for divers by meeting with specific dive boats.

A good deal at the moment with Fantasea is it's Extreme dive package which gives you a trip to the GBR and 2 dives at a different sight away from the masses for $199 it is for certified divers only and considering Fantasea charges $195 for their normal reeftrip it's a great deal.

Airlie is the place to base yourself. cheers airlian

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

well i am a island junkie. If you can afford it, try and stay one night on say either Daydream or Hamilton Island. I had a beauty treatment, and i went out to Daydream for just the one day. I had a ball, even though the weathe was not kind to me. that was in May though, so November may rain, but it will be warm.

other than that, try and do the trip out on the Reef Jet to Whitsunday Island, and also to snorkel. I think they also do dives.

we went out on boats four times in our seven days there.

Once on Reef Jet, twice on the Illusion sail boat. ( reef trip, and also a sunset trip, well worth it trust me. )

My friend went out to the outer reef on yet another boat.

the lagoon in town is fun for a day relaxing, and the shops are good, for souvenirs.

If you have a car at all, or catch the bus, there is a great Pub forget its name on the road out towards the highway, in the middle of a local shopping center. it has tremendous atmosphere, and great food at good prices. Yummo.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

Springqueen I think your talking about Banjo's Bar & Grill in Cannonvale, nice place for a beer or two.

I'm sorry about the weather you just make the most of what you've got. It sounds like you had a good time.

Daydream a nice compact island, although I've never tried the spa treatment personally, all reports are positive. Did you visit the lagoon they have, if so what did you think?

Snorkelling at Blue Pearl (illusions) and visiting Whitehaven and Luncheon Bay (Reefjet) and no arguments about our sunsets, beautiful pink hues from a boat all the better.

See you next time, there's plenty more to see. cheers airlian

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

I am indeed talking about Banjos Grill at Cannonvale. Couldnt think of the name before.

Yes we had a good time, even though the weather was fairly rainy.

the Illusions was such a good boat , and the weather was a little in our favour. the day on the reef, there were four of us, just our family, and we had the whole boat to ourselves.

I also remember fondly, the guy taking us out to the beach to snorkel, and him getting so wet, he was completely soaked. we sheltered in a cave, and all of us were fine, as we had stinger suits on, and were planning to get wet.

Later on, instead of the second snorkelling spot becuase of the weather, my husband and I were ferried to the only other sandy beach, the one connected at low tide to an island, and we walked there totally alone, for an hour, though i got thoroughly wet as well. My husband swam, so did i in the end, though i hadnt planned to. I was already very wet.

Your part of the world is very special, and I dont know when i will be back, but i will as soon as I can.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

Sorry forgot to answer your question.

were you referring to the Pool lagoon?

we did the mini golf, and had lunch at the three mermaid restaurant. both beautiful. the weather closed in, so my young companion went and found indoors to wait for me. we missed each other though, and our mobiles didnt work, so we almost missed the boat back. we had the wrong wharf to wait at, but all was fixed up eventually.

we had intended to snorkel in the area for that but visibility, and temperature were against us.

I found the atmosphere great though. I had been on day trips to South Molle, (well only a night trip really for the polynesian feast) and also to Great Keppel down south, and later Green Island up north, and Daydream was by far my fave. I could see myself based there for a while at least.

6. Re: 6 nights - Sailing, Diving, Snorkelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 08:22