We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsunday in Jan

aus
9 posts
Save Topic
Whitsunday in Jan

hey, just wondering if anyone can give me any info about visiting whitsunday in jan? what's the weather like? is it a good time for a beachy holiday there? cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

Hi AusSal

January is extremely popular like anywhere along the coast so you would need to make some quick decisions if you want to holiday in this month

It is the wet season but saying that normally the showers are short and often occur during the night and early morning

It is humid but certainly not unbearable and there is always plenty of ways to cool off as the Whitsundays are based around the water and water activities

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

I'd give the Whitsundays a miss in January as it's the wet season and also the Marine Stinger season.

Whitsundays isn't a bad holiday destination some months of the year,just not around January,you'll find much better elsewhere.

The beaches are also very poor,they're like a lake and no rolling surf like other states of Australia have to offer.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

Well Sal I don't know about not a bad place, I'd be heading towards one of the best holiday destinations worldwide and if you read some of the reviews they rave about this beautiful place

Funnily enough January is our busiest time of year so thousands of people must be wrong to visit that time of year. yes it is the wet season but we haven't had a decent one for a long time and a bit of rain can be quite nice in the afternoon. As for stinger season, well quite simply there is no such thing, stingers can be present at any time of year and the ones we worry about on the islands are irikandji jellyfish which can be as small as your thumb nail. They can be easily managed by donning a lycra stinger suit which in the extremely unlikely event of meeting mr irikandji will protect you, all cruise and daytrips as well as island resort will have them available for you. And they are sexy.

Beaches being terrible, that is a first we have a beach here called Whitehaven Beach and many people will tell you it is the nicest beach you'll ever see and they're probably right. No we don't have surf here we have an amazing underwater aquarium full of beautiful corals and colourful fish of all descriptions with turtles and dugong playing beside the manta rays and dolphins and all this in between 74 islands, 10 with resorts, so close to the mainland you think you can swim there. Oh hold on The Great Barrier Reef is just on the other side of those islands, yeah I suppose it's not a bad destination hmmm.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255083-i1758-k151…

Check this review out and see what these guys thought of our not bad holiday destination. I just don't know why people bother coming here. cheers airlian

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

AusSal

Hi , Just thought I would let you know that Whithaven beach consistantly ranks as one of the top three beaches in the WORLD.

Check it out.

Cheers

Bruiser

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

hi,

as others have said, it depends what you mean by beachy holiday..if you want surf beaches then no, i'd head elsewere, if you wish to sit on a nice beach and read a book taking a dip now and again..yes should be fine..

however as said it will be hot and humid..but not unbearably so if you are out in the islands..i would not hang about Airlie beach in the daytime in January if i could help it.

Beaches range from hard coral to Whitehaven fine silica..depending on where you go and what the tide is. There are quiet a few beaches on many of the islands that are hard coral, but most of the resorts have fine sand beaches (at least at high tide) for you to sit on.

Whitehaven is not a resort beach, its a daytrip one, so most people visit it once during their stay. Although you could camp there overnight in the past..airlian may be able to tell you if thats still the case.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

Hey watcher, yeah sal you can camp on Whitehaven and just about any other island here. the hardest thing is getting someone to get you there. The resort islands are the only ones that have regular ferry services so that can make it difficult.

For anyone who is interested there is a camping spot called paddle Bay and it has a good beach and some very good snorkellign in front of it. it's on Sth Molle Island in Bauer Bay about 10 minutes walk from the resort which is always handy if you fancy a dip in the pool or a shower or a cocktail or 2 before returning to rough it. As with all of our camp grounds you will need national parks permit and as Whiteman said it is around $4 p/day. You have to take everything as there is no water or any other facilities on the majority of the camp sites and places like Planton Island give you a whole island to yourself. it mightn't be for all but it is fun for some. cheers airlian

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

oops sorry quoted whiteman from a different post. cheers again airlian

8. Re: Whitsunday in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands