We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Manchester
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Hi,

I am on a 2 day cruise round the Whitsundays in April and have been told that when we get off the boat to go and visit Whitehaven beach we will have to wear stinger suits? If we are on the beach for a while (not sure how long...) would it be best keeping them on? Dont really fancy sitting in a suit on the beach when I can be sunbathing!! haha

Any info would be appreciated!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,140 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Depends on whether you like sliding them on wet to go for another swim.

I usually take mine off as soon as I leave the water...but I also cover up so i don't burn and sit in the shade as the NQ sun is ferocious..bad sunburn only takes about 15 mins some days

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

for those locals with pay tv there is a doco on at the moment about stingers on animal planet called "killer jellyfish" which is pretty interesting.

Manchester
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

I have never had to wear one so not sure how hard they are to even put on when you are dry... I think it would all depend on how long I am at the beach for I suppose... Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,140 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Hels,

think about putting on wet long pyjamas or jeans...

never done it but just think about what it feels like..i hate putting ona wet bikini...

ok guys you can start the jokes jow...

Manchester
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

HAHA I suppose so!! Will see how I get on when I am there, but sounds yuk to me!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Hi

We were up there in February on a trip to Whitehaven Beach. They told us that if we wanted to swim we had to keep the suits on (as we had been snorkelling) otherwise dont go inthe water.

Well, some of my friends went in anyway and one of them got stung by a coral stinger. I have never heard anyone scream like that before and to see what that stinger did was insane!

Still to this day, she has scars from it!

So take care....

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

We were there in January and didn't wear stinger suits..swam every day throughout the whitsundays (were on a yacht) and had no dramas.. now wondering if it was just because they were not in season or were we just lucky? hmmmm

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

well i guess it's like not wearing a seatbelt in a car. most of the time u dont need it but when u do the result could be fatal. stupidity has a way of catching up with bravado.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

Yes, our luck was that because they didnt wear the suits she got stung!! Who knows, it is a risk you take. I was a little worried when wearing the suit snorkelling too because the suit is sort of like swimming costume material (a little thikcer) and i thought that would it really protect me?

Someone also got stung down on Catseye Beach by an irukandji jellyfish.

10. Re: Stinger Suits on Whitehaven beach?!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 05:32