We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lizard or Hayman Island

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Lizard or Hayman Island

Hi,

I´ve been planning my honeymoon trip for a while now, and got almost everything figured out. The one thing i need to decide, is to which island i should go to.

I will arrive in Cairns on october 18th at 11:55am (already book this flight), and was planning to take the Hinterland flight (not booked) that departs at 14:00 to Lizard, where i would spend 4 nights. Then back to cairns, for more 4 nights then of to Sydney.

But some of friends of mine keep asking me why dont i go to Hayman Island instead... What made me now wonder if i should....

None of my friends have been to both islands, so i would really like some advice on where to go.

We are both 30 years old, and looking for a heavenly place to relax and enjoy ourselfes.

looking foward for your replys...

thx in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,406 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

*** bump **

The person to PM is Guruwife (Sydney DE) just go to the Sydney Forum and on top of the page her name will be listed (click on) and send message.

G/W has been to the two islands and knows them well/

I've only been to Hayman - sailing..so its a completely different experience.

Maybe other's have experienced the 2 islands too..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

Lizard by a mile! Why: Good accommodation; Very good food; Amazing white sand beaches; Fish and coral off the beach a few steps from your door; spa; nice pool; hire a dinghy and go to a private beach etc etc.

The only advantages Hayman has that I can think of are - choice of restaurants; room service (Lizard doesn't have it) and maybe a greater variety of excursions.

Not sure if October is Marlin season - I think there are a few weeks on Lizard when things get busy, there's some sort of tournament - easy to check with them though.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

The Lizard Island Black Marlin Classic is on from 24th - 31st October http://www.lizardislandgfc.asn.au/

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

The thing about hayman is that the presentation from their hotel, with that pool and all really sells. For someone like me, that have never been to Aus, and its choosing which island to go over the internet, its pretty hard.

I think i will book on Lizard, after all the things i´ve read.

Do you guys have anything to say about what kind room i should get, and its location?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

Hi, quick check in from Japan

have been to both more than once and after Lizard don't think I could ever go back to Hayman

Haven't got time to check your dates etc but we were there during the Marlin last year and it was not much noisier, in fact even a bit quieter during the day as most were out fishing.

Lizard is kids free and during oct you could well find Hayman to be kid central

Sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

Hello, I too have stayed on both and Lizard by a mile. Last year I was on Hayman and it has been let run down and the gardens were dead, food average, service average and price expensive for what you got. Lizard for sure and especially as you want it just perfect for your honeymoon.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

Anchor Bay Suites have a limited view but are right on the beach i.e. that's steps to the water. The other option Sunset Villas (can't remember the name) have nicer views but are up steps from the restaurant resort area and you then have to walk down steps to the beach. The Anchor Roooms (again not sure of name; cheapest accommodation) are pretty pokey. Your choice re view or access to beach - not much difference inside.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

Thank you all for your replys.

I made my mind. Will definitely go to Lizard.

I think i´ll get the Sunset Point Villa room. Seems to me the best cost-benefit option.

I want to pre-book my room location, as i read one´s are better located than others. Do you have any reference to help me choose?

I was looking the resort map on their site, but it is not very helpfull...

http://www.lizardisland.com.au/resort-map/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

We haven't stayed in asUnst room but the kids have. The preferred ones seem to be the furthest away from the resort (15/16I think) however it isa long uphill walk.

The one you don't want is next to the Pavillion..2

remember that some of the kings will be twins linked together..so maybe a tru King room would be your preference over loction..

the kids had number 10 and it had a reasonable view and not too hard a walk it was a fixed king (one was on a rollaway)

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lizard or Hayman Island

we just has a longweekend here in São Paulo, and i travelled with my friends to a city nearby.

I was telling them that i had made my mind. That i will go to Lizard.

Again they started questioning... Why dont i go somewhere else. For what we pay to stay 4 nights in Lizard, we can pretty much go anywhere else.

So my question now is, Is there a better place then Lizard Island that i can go from Cairns?

Is it really worth it to go to Lizard or i should go to cairns and, i dont know, port douglas, or whatever, and spend all the money i would spend there with other things.

Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands