We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Halifax, West...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Hi

I am going to be travelling to the Whitsunday's at the start of March for a couple of nights. Can anyone recommend anywhere nice to stay with young kids that is not the Club Med Resort?

We are quite flexible about where exactly we stay, we just want somewhere clean and that does not mind young children being there.

Any help would be apprciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Wrong Forum. Try the "Queensland, Australia" Forum.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Hi LChappers,

It appears you inadvertantly posted this message in the Singapore forum: I have moved the topic to the Whitsunday Islands forum, I hope you find the information and advice you need!

Best regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

As much as i'm not fussed on it I think hamilton island might be the only other island choice. Theres a huge range of accom styles and no transfers needed to get to other isalnds.

Other choices for kids would be long island, looked clean and comfortable but think nice country motel style accom rather than resort style.

The are numerous apartments in Airlie wich may also suit if not looking for kids club.

The final choice is hayman (whiih i think is now asking too many $$$ for what is essentially a failing resort. It has lost most of the clientele happy to pay for exclusivitiy and is focussing on bringing in wedding and conference custom. They have been offering some dirt cheap deals too...4 nights for $1100 per couple including transfer from hamilton! But once you get there food etc will still be VERY pricey.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Daydream Island and Long Island are both great resorts with kids in tow and offer Kids Club activities. Hamilton is convenient and offers a range of accommodation options. Further south is Great Keppel Island which is now a Mecure resort. See here: tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g255083-Whitsunday_I… for more info or here: holidayswithkids.com.au/kids_clubs#anchor3 for more info on Kids Clubs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Hamilton Island as others have mentioned has more accom choices and is totally suited for families. Daydream is the other island which is great for kids but its only tiny and doesnt have the same sort of activities available or tours as HI.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Also, you don't necessarily have to go out to an island you know. There are fantastic family resorts in Airlie Beach such as Big 4 Adventure Whitsundays tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g261596-d623807…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Tez,

When did mercure oen greta Keppel? last we heard they hd ditched plans for the full refurb and it was still backpackers...for the rest of the island??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

* open Great Keppel Resort

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

Hey Guruswife - I'd picked that up on Holidays with Kids Website (one that I usually find quite reliable) and thought they must have re-furbed & re-opened. I've now done a bit more research and it appears the main resort is now closed???? According to Queensland Holidays there is still Svendsens Luxury Tent Retreat and Great Keppel Island Holiday Village as options on the island. Such a shame - I remember Great Keppel as quite a good resort in the 1980's....... Showing my age I'm afraid!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Whitsunday's with kids

GKI resort definitely not open, and I doubt that it will be in the near future since the Fed Government knocked back the plans for a 300-room hotel and day spa, 1700 resort villas, 300 resort apartments, a 560-berth marina and yacht club, ferry terminal, retail village, golf course and sporting oval. Not sure who would have wanted to go there once all of that was built anyway, as there would have been absolutely no natural beauty left.