We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

Hi,

I am interested in visiting Long Island and I noticed that they said 'no food or alcohol to be brought onto the island as we are a fully licensed venue'.

This makes no sense for a few reason. Firstly, every hotel/motel/resort that sells alcohol is a licensed venue. Secondly, every holiday I've been on (bar the Maldives because it's against the law) we have taken a few bottles of wine with us to enjoy on the balcony.

We also usually pack some of our favourite snacks in case we aren't hungry enough for a full meal.

I suppose my question is are they legally allowed to impose this on guests? They aren't allowed to do luggage searches so I know we could get away with it if we wanted to- but I just find the whole thing rather silly.

They sell bottles of wine for min $40 per bottle and have vending machines all around with junk food/cans/bottles so I know they're not trying to minimise land fill or anything.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,338 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

It depends on the licence they have. In WA (and I would think other states as well) there is a tiered licence system where venues may sell alcohol but allow some alcohol to be brought in by customers (usually just beer and wine but not spirits) or a full licence, which precludes outside purchases being consumed on the premises.

In any case, their premises, their rules. If you don't like it (and I can understand that you would) I would suggest perhaps a different venue would suit you better.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

Thanks for your reply. We wouldn't avoid the island because of it, just wanted to see if it is actually something they can stop guests from doing :)

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

It would be un-Australian not to sneak some booze in!

;)

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

I like the way you think :p

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

"It depends on the licence they have. In WA (and I would think other states as well) there is a tiered licence system where venues may sell alcohol but allow some alcohol to be brought in by customers (usually just beer and wine but not spirits) or a full licence, which precludes outside purchases being consumed on the premises"

It's exactly as I've been explained in the past.

I had a friend who used to work on one of the QLD islands as an F&B Manager, not too long ago, and he once spoke to me about this. In Queensland (and possibly other states) have a licensing clause known as the "undesirable alcohol" control. It basically is a clause that enables the premises to control movement of any alcohol, as they are legally responsible for the effects of the content to the patrons. He also added that this is particularly enforced on island resorts because there are infinite more dangers on an island as opposed to and in comparison to a typical venue.

This doesn't mean you aren't able to sneak alcohol in and get away with it, it just means if its discovered, then they have the authority to act and remove you from the premises.

As YourFoodie summed it up. Their place, their rules.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

Thanks KVE, those licensing rules don't exist in NSW so you have cleared that all up for me.

No point risking time in paradise over a few bottles of wine :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

I almost get the 'no alcohol' rule and can see the reasoning behind it. I can see situations where some guest may bring well well stocked Eskies in lieu of luggage and proceed to have very loud, unruly 24/7 binge parties.

But 'no food'????? How can they restrict food being brought to the Island. Binge eating is hardly going to affect other guests.

Fair 'nuff, no outside food in their dining areas, but in the privacy of your own balcony or room? What if you have food allergies or religious reasons for not wanting to eat the resort's food?

Nope, it's just a way to get more money out of the unsuspecting guests.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

Yeah I completely agree Evamelb, and I assume there is the aspect of the revenue involved.

But I also understand the reasons why the regulations are written in for an island.

It's a legal clause for possibility of limiting food poisoning blame directed at them. On top of that, a breakout of severe gastro isn't something they have the capacity to handle and could, in the worst case scenario close down a resort.

Something like this happened at a small resort on the North Atoll in the Maldives about seven years ago. They had to move guests to another resort until it was given an all clear.

But that's an extreme case.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

How does your luggage get there?

If it were me, a sly bottle of Bundy would definately accidently find itself in my bag for an afternoon on the balcony haha

I can understand it from an anti- yobbo POV . But so long as you are doing there right thing and not annoying anyone else - wheres the harm?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A 'no alcohol or food can be brought in' resort

I understand that many cruise lines operate on the same system and I have been in the occasional hotel OS where they say this too. I am sure it has more to do with getting more money from the visitors.

And while the hotels at Uluru don't state you can't bring your own, there are bugger all outlets to buy alcohol there, they limit the amount you can buy and the prices are equally big, as everything has to be flown in or trucked in. These costs would also apply to an island.

Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands