We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Ra'anana, Israel
11 posts
Save Topic
best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Me and my husband (both seniors) plan to tour Austrelia in spring 2014. We dont have much time and can allow only one day for a visit to the whitesundays. We are interested mainly in sightseeing and beautifull views, and not so much in snorkeling (we plan to some snorkelling while visiting the GBR). can anybody recommend a suitable tour?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Where are you planning to come from and how are you getting to the Whits?

I am assuming you mean at least an overnight?

Ra'anana, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

thank for your answer.

we are planning to come from Brisbane.

the truth is we dont have enough time to stay over night (austrelia is so big and our time is so short!), so we thought of joining a day tour, but as i said before, we dont want to spend time on snorkeling

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Really a day tour from Brisbane>! I dont mean to be rude, but you must look at a map to gauge the enormity of the distance.

To get from Brisbane you need a flight which is at least 2 hours and then transfer to whatever you need to do, The main reason people come to the Whitsundays is to enjoy the GBR and snorkel. With your short amount of time this will not happen and you will just see probably Hamilton island.

Its a waste of a day and your money if you don't get out to see the nature aspect of what the Whitsundays are about.

Ra'anana, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

I meant to say we come from the direction of Brisbane. as a matter of fact we intend to arrive from Noosa, where we shall be sleeoing the night before. it's only 200 km. from Noosa to Harvey bay. We plan to sleep in Harvey bay and go to the whitesunday islands the morning, as early as possible. which means that we have a whole day. Will this information change your abswer or do you still think we should better not bother?

Ra'anana, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

I made a mess!!! sorry!

in my hurry i confused the 2 planed trips; one to Fraser islands and the second to the witesunday.

according to our plan we would arrive in Harvey bay (fro Noosa) in the afternoon or in the evening and would like to go to Fraser iland the morning after. we have the whole day but no more than a day.

The same goes for the whitesunday islands; we arrive in airlie beach (from Mackay) in the afternoon and would like to take a tour in the whitesunday the mornung after.

So here are my question and my request for advice:

1. considering we have very little time and consiering the sad fact that that this our first and last time in Austrelia, would you reccomend giving up one of these places so that we have 2 days in only one of them?

2. un case we decide on going to both, what would be the best way to do it? can you reccomend a company?

as i said before we are intersted in sightseeing and so much in snorkeling

thankes, Rachel

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

IMHO there is little point in visiting Airlie if you will just be there for a morning, or is it a full day?

If rushed for time the one place that is a must see is Whitehaven Beach (note there is no e in Whitsunday)

Ra'anana, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Thank you gurusW!

we plan to arrive in airlie beach in the afternoon, sleep there and then spend the day after in Whitsunday (sorry about the e. english is not my mother toungue, as you might have noticed..correction are accepted gratefully).

can you reccomend a boat (or a company) that take you for a day tour mainly for sightseeing. ie, without snorkeling?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

Hi Rachel I live in Mackay and regularly go to Airlie Beach for the day. Its a 2 and a half hour drive. When you get to Airlie Beach there are lots of tour operators up and down the main street. You can take a trip out to Whitehaven Beach and admire the beautiful waters on the trip out.

However I did wonder why you are arriving in Mackay and not spending time here. One hours drive inland will take you to the beautiful rainforest of Eungella National park where you are almost certain to see a platypus . Its my favourite place in Australia! have a safe and happy trip and enjoy Australia

9. Re: best way for one day trip to whitesunday islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:17