We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stinger Season

Calgary
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Stinger Season

Hi,

We will be travelling up to the Whitsunday Islands, Airlie Beach, etc. in late November. I understand that it is stinger season? I am from Canada (live near NO oceans) so this is all new to me. What is the risk? Do you recommend staying out of the water? Where can you go that is safe to swim/snorkel?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stinger Season

G'day John and Stacey

No you can still enjoy the water with a few precautions.

As a general rule, if you are swimming off the islands, wear a stinger suit and don;t take risks. You can snorkle, swim or dive on the outer Barrier Reef without concern. There are many day trips to the GBR from Airlie Beach and the islands available.

This is one of my favourite places, i am sure you will love it.

have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stinger Season

Stingers are found in all tropical waters at all times of year in all parts of the world but they tend to be much more prevalent in the warmer months. When the water temp gets over 27C and the northerly winds kick in, their numbers tend to go up - but it is very seasonal and no-one has worked out as yet how to predict a good or bad season. So far this season it's been quiet (the water temp is cooler than usual) but I'd expect reports of box jellyfish on the coastal fringe by the end of November. Please note that deadly jellyfish exist on the outer reef as well as the inshore islands and beaches.

Airlie "Beach" is actually a mud flat so you won't be tempted to swim in the ocean. However, they have a fabulous man-made lagoon which is a great spot to spend time - right in the centre of the town. Once you get out on the islands or on a boat, you really should talk to the people responsible for your safety. Good operators will recommend stinger suits for all swimming and diving at that time of year. This will reduce your personal risk sunstantially.

Great part of the world at a great time of year. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stinger Season

All cruise operators in The Whitsundays provide stinger suits, and as mentioned before are advisable if for nothing more than preventing sunburn and making you feel better. In the extremely rare case of you meeting one of our stingers the suit will offer you great protection. You will have a ball cheers airlian

4. Re: Stinger Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 14:17