We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience with flightcentre

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bad experience with flightcentre

Just had a really bad experience with flightcentre. I had booked a holiday to Hamilton island with them, and after thinking about it, wanted to add another day to our stay, & change flights accordingly. I rang early Monday morning, and asked the agent to look into it. No response by lunchtime, so I called in. The agent had been told by one of his wholesalers that there were no vacancies, and he didn't bother looking any further. I had seen several vacancies that morning on wotif.com, quickbeds, etc. He then spent 1 hour on the phone trying to track a room down, eventually being told by the wholesaler to use the quickbeds site. By this time I was saying to myself I should have changed it myself... anyway, we rang jetstar to change flights, he got me to pay for the whole thing, then when he finally went back to the quickbeds site, the room had GONE. There were no vacancies anywhere, he couldn't find any other room on any site (most of the websites were suggested by me). I lost my extra day & half on hamilton island due to his incompetence. Not happy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the branch of flightcentre, it's in the north west of Sydney. I don't think I'll ever use a travel agent again. I only rang him because I thought as they booked it, changes had to go through them. I've learnt better now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

What amazes me is that although they know people can shop around on the internet themselves these days - mobs such as Flight Centre are still locked into an old fashioned method of making bookings for people uaing their contracted wholesalers.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

I also had a poor experience with Flight Centre- they were quoting higher flight costs than expedia - it turned out they ONLY deal with certain wholesalers so unless what you want is available from their wholesaler/s you're out of luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

Quite a few people I know have had bad experiences with Flight Centre, myself included.

You're much better off doing the legwork and bookings yourself. Their staff are completely useless when it comes to changes or anything that requires a bit of research on their part.

I don't know if it's laziness or if they're understaffed but Flight Centre customer service is pretty poor.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

You are correct, Flight Centre can not book Hamiltion Island direct as they are locked up with Sunlover (QLD tourism).. that is why when Sunlover reach their allocation the place is apparently full.. As for the poor service from the consultant you dealt with I would treat them the same as you would a complaint with any share holder company... ring head office in North Sydney and find out who the area leader is and take it to the top.. I would be hitting them up for those extra charges that he caused due to his incompetency.

The main reason people book with Flight Centre is because if any thing does go wrong they are supposed to be there for you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

I also attempted to book my Hamilton Island trip with Flight Centre this year I go in 81 days! Yee haaaa.. due to lack of interest from a sales assistant in North Brisbane.. I though I would try Travel World Kallanger - Andrew is GREAT! .. I still ended up getting better prices myself for flightS by booking on line however have booked my acc through travel world!

Also got a bad experience back in NZ with Flight centre, was expecting a "day room" in Tokyo for a stop over which they said they had organized , found out when I got there I had to check in before I could get to the day room, this meant an 8 hour wait on the Airport.. In Tokyo of all places.. Alone! A day I would love to forget!

Looking back on it now I can laugh .. I am guessing so can the agent!

Good luck!

brisbane, australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

with sites like trip advisor - who needs flight centre. every time in the past that i had gone with them, i got ripped off. when we planned our honeymoon to malaysia and indonesia, we were quoted $12,000... it was a bit too steep for us - we went away and booked everything over the internet and it cost us less then $6,000. I would now never ever step into a flight centre, when you can find the best deals on the internet!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

I once credited and rebooked a new flight with Flight Centre, guess what Virgin retained the credit card fee and also did FC... When i complained that i paid FC and that was double dipping, they said too bad, thats the way we do it... talk to virgin, like that got me anywhere bye bye FC or anyother middlemen, never again..

8. Re: Bad experience with flightcentre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:26
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island