We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Hi,

I'm looking into booking one of the 3 br Standard Hamilton Island Properties apartments, for a stay in April, however I can't seem to find a review of these anywhere. We're hoping to stay up there with another family, so there will be 7 of us (4 adults, 3 young kids).

Has anyone stayed at one of these before, and can give me some feedback as to cleanliness, location etc?

Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

TanyaH

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Hi tanyah

Can you be a bit more specific on what property you are considering

There arent a lot of 3 bedroom apartments, so your choices are more limited

As far as reviews, there have been many on this forum, so try to do a search either putting in apartments HI or else the complex you are looking at

All apartments come with a golf buggy, however with 7 of you, you wont all be able to travel together as there is a 4 person limit and golf buggy's are considered in the same light as cars and you can be booked for overloading

Considering this and the fact you say the children are young, you might be better to try to find one of the apartments along Catseye Beach as it is easy to walk out the front and onto the beach .. also it is an easy walk to the Reef Hotel and the 3 main pools which are available to all

However, there arent many 3 bedroom apartments so you will need to search ..

A lot of the apartments are located up behind the Marina but you cant walk from there as it is a very steep hill.. however there are free shuttle mini buses which travel around the island so you could also use these

I cant vouch for the cleanliness of all the apartments but I think you will find most owners are pretty fussy on how the apartments are presented so it shouldnt be an issue

Just dont leave any doors open as you could be visited by birds or possums which will try to gain entry to get food

Also check out google earth .. a great way to see the layout of the island from the air

Abbey

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

I have a 15 month old with me, are they allowed on the buggy?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

From waht I have seen yes,

it odesn't have the same rules as car..ie a restraint so nursing a 15 month old seems fine

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Yes GW is right .. anyone of any age can ride on a buggy

Even saw a silly mum once driving a buggy with twins on her lap .. stupid woman

All new electric buggy's have seat belts but there are still many petrol ones being driven as the new rules regarding changeover have started this year and petrol buggy's didnt have seat belts

Also some have child seats fitted but not many ..

With a 15 month old, sit them on the front seat in between the driver and the passenger and you should be fine or else of course you can nurse them

Abbey

NSW
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

We've just returned from the island and have a 15month old too. The buggies really don't go fast. If I was taking my daughter along, my partner would hold her on her lap.

We stayed here http://www.stayz.com.au/32863.

Lovely place and with the 5 adults the cost was the same or less than a hotel.

The house is quite far out from Hamilton centre (about 5mins in the buggy up and down the big hills) but do you need to be rushing?

If we didn't have the house, I can't say I would have enjoyed my stay. The island is pretty run down and quite a few closed restaurants/shops, with the remaining restaurants I'd suggest you avoid (make you own meals) or grab a sandwich from the corner cafe.

With the amount of people going, I'd strongly suggest you get a second buggy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Hi 1of3

February is generally the quiestest month of the year on HI .. due to the wet season and being the end of the school holidays

Accommodation is usually less expensive during this month and many places take the opportunity to have essential maintenance work carried out so as to cause the least amount of disruption to guests .. hence this may be part of the reason a number of restaurants are closed

Hopefully when the new golf course and Yacht Club are completed this year, other parts of the island will get some updating

Abbey

NSW
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

I'm not sure about the maintenance... Some of the shop owners were saying that their leases were not being renewed by the management. Either way, as the 'noted' restaurants didn't take kids under 10, it was probably a moot point as we only wanted to eat as family anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Yes a lot of changes are happening on HI but I dont agree with everything the "new" owners are doing ..

I am sorry about the restaurants .. we only ever eat in the Yacht Club, Toucans, Steak House, The Reef Hotel and the Pizza Restaurant so wasn't aware there was an age limit on some of the others

As I am visiting in March with my grandchildren .. it will be interesting to see what changes there has been since my last visit

Abbey

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Abbey,

Your previous post about the type of buggies got me curious. As I have rented a property on the island, are I likely to get an electric buggy or a petrol buggy? How are the buggies recharged or fueled up? Sounds like its more cost efficient to get an electric buggy is it not?

How about the toiletries in the apartment, will there be shampoo/conditioner, enough toilet paper for the stay (correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the apartment will be cleaned and supplies replenished on a daily basis)...., towels?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hamilton Island Properties - Standard

Whether you get an electric or petrol buggy depends on the apartment owner

All apartments are privately owned on HI but some owners let their apartments through HI Resort and others either through stays or other means i.e. the on island real estate etc

I dont know who you booked through but if it is a private owner then email them and ask which type of buggy they have

It doesnt matter one way or the other except the new electric buggy's do have seat belts fitted but the petrol buggy's have worked well for many years

Electric buggy's are charged outside the apartment over night and need to be plugged in and slowly all the apartment blocks are having to have extra points installed

Petrol ones are usually refilled at the end of your stay but should cost no more than $10.00 as they use very little petrol ..

Linen, towels and toilet paper are provided but everything else you need to supply yourself .. toiletries are not the norm

Sometimes guests leave grocery items behind because they dont want to carry them home but once you arrive, have a quick look around and then visit the local on island supermarket for any basic items you require i.e. washing up liquid, laundry powder, milk etc

And yes they are only cleaned at the end of your stay unless some special arrangements have been made

Abbey

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island