We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

brisbane
Level Contributor
72 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

There are many recommendations on the forum to visit one tree hill for magnificent sunsets. Does anyone (who has been up early enough!) know if this location would be just as good to see a beautiful sunrise? My two best girlfriends are sharing a special birthday on HI in July and I wanted to plan a special day for them, beginning with a champagne breakfast watching the sunrise on one tree hill. Is this the best place for the sunrise ??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

Thats a good question pinkzinc

and no I havent been at sunrise .. more's the pity although considering I will be up there next week with a 3 yo and 1 yo might be my chance

but I think it would be excellent ... the lookout covers all the way from the east to the north to the west so no reason the sunrise shouldn't be as spectacular

I have seen the sunset from the apartments along catseye and it is special so go for it ..

but take a jacket as it could be a bit chilly that time in the morning but you can be pretty sure it wont rain so that's a plus

also if you dont have one included in your accommodation, you might want to hire a buggy for 24 hours ... I doubt the free shuttle will run at that time and if you are walking, it is a bit of a climb, depending of course where you are staying

abbey

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

Not sure whether it is true but I'm pretty sure there is a curfew for the buggies.

Maybe catch the sunset instead... should be as spectacular wouldn't it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

You are right giraffez

There are curfews on the buggy's but I have never been out and about at sunrise so havent had to use one

where are you staying pinkzinc?

I know the staff often walk up the hill so depending how fit you are, it can be done

Otherwise just park yourself out on catseye beach .. you will get the exact same view of the sunrise as catseye faces east ... a couple of towels and some bubbly and you should be right

abbey

brisbane
Level Contributor
72 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

thanx to everyone for your replies.

We will be staying at The Pavillions.

I have checked curfew times and buggies are not to be driven between 1am and 5.30am so as we are going to be there in July, I expect sunrise will be a fair bit later - perhaps 6.30/7.00am - I will check times when it gets closer.

Good point Abby about Catseye beach - will take that on board.

I do want to make the day special and have planned a day of (leisurely) activities - including a visit for us all to the day spa, however I did want to start with a champagne brekky at sunrise, and end the day with the dinner cruise - will factor in an afternoon nap as well!

Mentioned in this post
Catseye Beach
Catseye Beach
618 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Hamilton Island...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

Hi Pinkzinc,

You get much better view of the sunrise from One Tree Hill then from catseye beach as the beach is inside a bay, shaded from east(ie. from right) by a hill called Passage Peak.

If your friends get an electric buggy, they can get on the way up to One Tree a bit earlier and nobody is going to hear them :-) Anyway, it is just a shor ride from Pavillions and as you've rightly pointed out the winter sunrise is a bit later than in summer.

In every case, would they have to drive earlier then 5:30am and would the island Security happen to stop them, I'm convinced nothing much would happen if the ladies explain they want to see the sunrise.

brisbane
Level Contributor
72 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

thanx Oz40 - your comments are very reassuring. I'ts great when a plan comes together.!

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

Hi pinkzinc

Go and do sunrise at One Tree Hill - it is amazing. I was up there on the weekend and decided to get up early and see sunrise (on my 3rd trip to the island!).

Sunrise was approx 6.30am, so i got up there around 6.15am. I would say to go up to the lookout, which is just near One Tree Hill (up the hill) it is the best point to watch the sun rise. You will get to see it rise over the other islands. Then go to One Tree Hill as it will allow you to get some other really nice pics of the sky.

Then, go down to the main resort area (near Toucan Tango's and the pools) and walk out onto Catseye Beach and you will get even more stunning pics. I have loaded mine on here so it will take a few days for them to show up. And the camera I have is just a basic digital camera.

The other good thing is that at that time of the morning there is no onw around, so if you do want to get some nice photo's of the beach - its pretty much all yours!

Do remember to take a jacket as it is cool in the mornings.

Enjoy !!

Mentioned in this post
Catseye Beach
Catseye Beach
618 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

The only thing that would add to the experience is a coffee stand with decent coffee! As I try not to drink before midday! Many people walk or jog there early in the morning.

brisbane
Level Contributor
72 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

thanx for the suggestion, but as it's for a special occasion, we will take a champagne breakfast !! What better way to start the day - beautiful sunrise, best friends, gormet breakky and champagne - what a life !!!

10. Re: Sunrise on One Tree Hill ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 05:35
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island