We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

Hi everyone. We are going to the Whitsundays the last week of July and first week of August. We have booked the first 5 days at Airlie Beach and the last 5 days on Daydream Island. We would like to book the middle few days on Hamilton Island - but not at $330 a night for a hotel room.

I have read that sometimes people can get great last minute rates for Hamilton through travel agencies in Airlie Beach. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone done this successfully? I would prefer to have it all sorted out ahead of time, but would possibly leave it until the last minute if there was a reasonable chance of it working.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. The limit for what I am willing to pay is $200 per night. We had no problem finding 4 1/2 star resorts for less than this in the other 2 locations.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

HI KD

I had a look on wotif and it is showing $278.00 a night for a garden room on Daydream Island .. is this the rate you have booked?

I doubt very much that you can get accommodation on HI for $200.00 a night .. HI will always be more expensive than Airlie Beach but you need to take into consideration that when staying on an island, everything is close by i.e. beach, restaurants, activities etc and you dont have to spend any time travelling to get from one place to another

If you have a deal at Daydream for less than $200.00 a night then I would spend your time between Airlie and Daydream .. this way you are getting the best of both worlds and would probably be more relaxing than constantly packing up and moving on

Check out www.stays.com.au and there are over 280 properties listed for HI and you will find some owners offering specials on apartments .. if you do go to HI, an apartment is better value for families as you get 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a golf buggy which is the main form of transport on the island .. you wont however get the buffet breakfast but the golf buggy more than makes up for brekkie .. you can always do cereal and toast sitting out on your own balcony looking at the wonderful view

The end of July you should be able to get some rates from about $280.00 a night and upwards

Happy hunting

Abbey

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

Thanks for your help Abbey.

The rate we got for Daydream was around $175 a night - but that was with using Retravision resort cheques (a special promotion through an electrical appliance store chain). I think we may do exactly as you suggested and just add a couple more days onto Daydream and Airlie.

Thanks again!

whitsundays
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

You certainly can get stand by rates from Airlie for HI but only for resort products such as Beachclub and Reef View not the private apartments.

Your local travel guys will also get you transfers thrown in which is another saving. The only thing about stand-bys is that you run the risk of missing out.

Even at stand-by rates you will probaby only get Palm Bungalows or Terraces for that price.

Island resorts are much more expensive than mainland resorts as the costs of everything is doubled.

You will not be able to get standby's until at least 72 hours before you wish to visit HI.

Don't forget that Airlie will be able to provide top notch accommodation with many more activivtes and daytrips available than any of the island resorts for a fraction of the islands costs.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

Thanks Whitsundays for the helpful information. - Still deciding whether it's worth the risk or if we should just add on to Airlie and Daydream. I figure we really can't lose as I'm sure the whole area will be wonderful.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

Update:

A few days ago a travel television show advertised a special rate of $180 per night for a 1 bedroom apartment at the Whitsunday Holiday Apartments on Hamilton Island! The special deal was only good for like 24 hours. So I booked it and we now have 5 nights at Airlie Beach, 4 on Hamilton Island and 4 on Daydream Island. We leave 1 month from tomorrow - can't wait!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

hey kd2226

Wow $180 / night is such a great deal. I saw it too and was tempted to book myself to go back there again (3rd time this year!!). To tell you the truth the travel industry rates for the apartments are $200/night - so you got a super bargain!!

If you are going to Airlie Beach first, i would suggest to bring over to HI some supplies that you might need as the supermarket prices on the island are more expensive than the mainland due to shipping costs.

A word of advice with the whitsunday apartments, keep your balcony door closed as the cockatoo's are cheeky little things and are always looking for food.

They are slowly refurbishing the Whitsunday Apartments, so hopefully you are in one of the refurbished rooms.

:)

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

Thanks for the kind words and the advice - especially about stocking up on groceries at Airlie Beach.

At this price, maybe we won't get one of the refurbished rooms - but we can live with that.

8. Re: stand-by last minute rates for Hamilton Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island