We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

Hobart
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

My son and his girlfriend (23&21)are thinking of Hamilton Is. in Oct. What are the must 'dos' and best values on the Is.? Anything or places they should avoid? Is it expensive accommodation aside to enjoy the place?

Appreciate honest feedback. Sunline

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

Hi Sunline

TBH considering the ages of your son and his girlfriend .. I think there would be cheaper options .. My married son loves it with his family but his younger brother would look elsewhere for his holiday

HI is a fantastic holiday for families and older couples also for honeymoons .. but for younger people who obviously would like some night life on their holidays, I would look elsewhere .. there is a night club but I dont think it opens every night

HI is not a budget island and accommodation will cost from about $280.00 a night minimum although they may pick up a tour package which might give them their airfares and accommoation for a lesser rate

I love HI but it isn't for everyone and whilst there are lots of activities available both on and off island .. these can be expensive

I would post a general enquiry for the Whitsundays .. some locals will suggest a cruise as a great alternative.. these are very well priced and with lots of options and are all included so they will get to see lots of the islands but of course they have to like boats and being constantly with other people

I can certainly give more feedback if they have their heart set on HI.. there are ways to save money and enjoy.. just depends what type of holiday they are looking for

Airlie Beach also has lots more affordable accommodation and whilst not an island .. you can take lots of day trips and there are also resorts which give the same sort of atmosphere

October is the most popular month outside the school holidays so they would need to look seriously at it now

Hope this is of some help

Abbey

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

If I were their age I'd be staying in Airlie and perhaps doing just a couple of nights over on Hamilton Island. Airlie has much more to offer that age group if they like to party I'd say

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

We loved the relaxed style of HI, but as others have said, it's not the place for a 'party' style holiday.

Everything is quite expensive on the island - yes it's an island, and everything gets there by boat or aircraft, but the mark-ups on almost everything are quite obscene.

Great place to use as a base to take air and sea trips to visit the reef and other islands.

Most disappointing part of the island is the lack of any sort of beach - Catseye beach is nice to look at when the tide is up, but otherwise mud, concrete, and some attempt to dump sand on the shore does not really make a beach.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

Hi Sunline!

I first went up there when I was their age. In my opinion I think they will actually enjoy it.

For a young couple, they can go and relax and sit by the pool or at the beach, do some of the water activities (of which some are included in the rates). There are plenty of other activities / tours which you pay for such as:

Adrenalin Rush Sailing (need to book in advance) $98

Sea Kayak Sunset Paddle (highly rec) $44

Quad bike tour $129

Mini golf $17

You also have other entertainment such as sunset cocktails at One Tree Hill, karaoke at the Marina Tavern, various happy hours at the bars around the island, movie nights at the local school, trivia nights, bingo, and also the nightclub which is good fun!

Eating out on the island may cost them a little bit, but they can go for cheaper alternatives than the restaurants. For example, the Marina Tavern has good priced meals and, to be honest, the food is GREAT. There also is a bakery and Fish & Chip shop so for lunch they could get something light.

Accommodation will vary in price. The lead in is the Palm Bungalows. For a young couple, the bungalows are in a good position on the Resort Side of the island (beach side). I inspected them on my last visit in May and I liked what I saw! They are all free standing (check out my photo's) and have a small kitchen in the bungalow so if they want to go to the supermarket they can get a few basic supplies and be able to make their own breakfast or lunch in their room. That would also save them $. Also they can walk to everything and save the cost of hiring a golf buggy as they are $85/day. There also is a shuttle bus that operates all around the island.

In comparison to the other Whitsunday Islands, in my opinion, Hamilton Island would have more appeal to them. Daydream is very small and very much for families, Club Med - once again for families, Hayman - 5 star and very expensive, etc.

Good luck with it. I am sure they will have a wonderful time and that time of the year is just beautiful.

5. Re: Pros and Cons of Hamilton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island