We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

I was looking at booking flights either in May or June to Hamilton Island as there are some good deals, is there a reason they are so cheap? Obviously the weather wont be as good. I was looking at going for a week, is that too long?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

Its cheap becuase its before the northerners head in from OS and it isn't school hols.

May is often perfect weather

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

Hi

May weather is nice. It won't be too hot and humid like the summer months and won't be as wet!

A week would be enough for you. It will give you 5 full days to do what you want. So you can go out for a full day trip to the Great Barrier Reef, then maybe a trip to Whitehaven Beach. The rest of the time you can spend enjoying the 40+ activities (not all of them are free) - but a word of advice, go and play bingo (see the weekly activity guide for information) and you can win free dinners, free cocktails and also free activities.

Where abouts are you looking at staying?

:)

melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had checked out flights and got excited but then looked at accommodation which was so exciting...it all seems so expensive but I'm still looking. It would work out ok if there was a group but it is just two of us so not sure where to stay...

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

Hi again

To go there for a week, I would really recommend in staying in a self contained apartment. That way, if you don't want to dine out 3 times a day in restaurants then you don't have to. There is a bakery on the island so you can go and get fresh bread daily and also a supermarket.

Have a look at

www.hamiltonisland.biz

www.stayz.com.au

They offer self contained apartments and include a 4 seater golf buggy to get around the island (that itself will save you $85/day!). They do have a shuttle bus, but its better when you have your own buggy. Most of these apartments are located on the marina side of the island (it is only a matter of minutes from the main resort area / pool / Catseye Beach. Last year we stayed at The Anchorage #10 which was 1 bedroom. We booked through hamiltonisland.biz i think they give you free nights or a free dinner cruise.

The Anchorage cost us $265/night. Each group of apartments / villa's have their own pool - plus you can still access the main pools of the resort.

That might help keep things down on the price.

By the way, Virgin Blue have just released some specials so check out their website and you may get a good deal!

melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

Great tips, thanks heaps!

6. Re: Is there a bad time to visit Hamilton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island