We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday homes for large group

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday homes for large group

I am trying to find a cluster of holiday homes that would be suitable for my large family group holiday. (30 of us) We would like to be all in the same location but split into group of 2/3/4 room apartments. (we would work out the devision once we find somewhere)

Is there somewhere where we can do this in a cluster group so we can share a common pool?

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi Scott

Yes you can certainly do this!

Majority of the privately owned apartments on the island are located over on the marina side of the island. Each complex (example: Shorelines, Blue Water Views, Casuarina Cove, Oasis, Anchorage to name just a few) have a number of different apartments (some have 1, 2 or 3 bedroom apartments) that share a common pool. So it is possible!

Have a look at the following websites, as they are privately owned. It will list the name of property and also the apartment number, along with photos etc.

www.hamiltonisland.biz

www.stayz.com.au

Both of the above websites feature different apartments in each complex.

You will still have access to the main resort pools too, one has a swim up pool bar (and there is plenty of room in the pool for a group of your size).

Hope that helps!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi Scott

Barina gave 2 excellent sites plus you could also try hamiltonislandaccommodation.info/holiday/Apa…

There aren't a lot of 4 bedroom apartments available except with Casuarina being the exception

There are also a number of private homes which have pools so if you could get several of these together they may suit as some have 4 - 6 bedrooms

All complexes have their own pools so you wont have to be worried about that and some also have b b ques by the pool which are handy for large crowds as you find that whilst most apartments have b b ques, they are not meant to cater for large crowds

Some ground floor apartments are handy for large numbers as you can spill out onto the grass.. Hibiscus, Lagoon and Frangipani all have ground floor apartments which still have wonderful views across catseye beach but have large patio's .. these are popular with wedding parties etc as they are on more level ground .. however these are mainly 2 bedroom with a few 1 and 3 bedroom available

Remember that the golf buggy's are only licenced to carry 4 people and whilst a few houses might supply 2 buggy's, generally you will only get 1 buggy per apartment .. there are still a few 6 seaters on island but these will gradually disappear as all buggy's are being updated to electric so if you put 2 families per apartment, you will need to either walk or access the free shuttle which circles the island .. you can of course rent a buggy for $85.00 per day

Hope we have been of some help

Abbey

Edited: 16 March 2010, 13:32
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Thanks, Abbey & barina80, great info!

I thought that I read somewhere that there are apartments arranged in groups of 5/6, and each group shares it's own pool. This sort of thing would be perfect but I can't find any info.

All of the apartment sites show just individual apartments... any ideas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi Scott

I havent heard of this arrangement which is not to say it doesnt exist but I wonder from a commercial view point if it would be very profitable ..

I dont think owners could afford to have 5/6 apartments vacant for any length of time .. all apartments on HI are privately owned, some are managed by the owners, others by independent travel companies and the rest by HI Resort itself

I think your only option would be 5/6 apartments in the same complex.. the pools during the day are very often empty as the average booking on HI is 3 - 4 nights so most people take advantage and do off island activities and use the pools later in the afternoon or early morning

But other than renting a house, I doubt you will get a large private pool for your party

Abbey

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi again Scott

Yes you are correct, there are blcoks of apartments together that share a pool. So when you are looking on the websites, you need to have a look at the names of each group.

They all show the individual apartments as they are individually owned by private investors.

Some of the complex names are:

The Anchorage

Bella Vista

Blue Water Views

Casuarina Cove

Compass Point

Cooinda Gardens

The Edge

Frangipani Lodge

Heliconia Grove

La Bella Waters

Oasis

Panorama

Pavilions

Shore Lines

Skiathos

When you look up the accommodation it will have the complex name eg. The Anchorage and then the apartment number. So it would look like this when you look them up: EG. The Anchorage #10

You can then search to see how many are in that complex that they lease out to holiday makers. I don't think that there are many that are arranged in groups of 5 or 6. I know for Anchorage there was about 15 - 20 in our complex and over in Blue Water Views there was also about the same.

Would you consider looking at a private holiday house to rent then? That way it is all yours for the whole duration. There are some beautiful houses available, friends of mine just got married up there and they hired a 4 bedroom house with its own swimming pool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi Barina

I think what Scott is looking for is a private exclusive pool for their party .. if they stay in any of the mentioned apartment complexes they will be sharing the pool with other guests .. I dont think there are any complexes small enough for him to book the entire number of apartments and hence have the pool for themselves but that would be the only way to meet his requriments and then you would have to have all the apartments vacant for the dates he requires.. difficult in itself

As we both have said, a house will be the only way they will have an exclusive pool .. some apartments have got "plunge" pools which with 30 people would not be suitable

Abbey

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Yes I was looking for somewhere that would give us exclusive use of a pool as a sort of meeting point for the group.

I have looked at private houses & found some great ones such as The Round house that sleeps 14 & has a cottage for an extra 4, but that isn't enough for my party of 30.

I then went about trying to find smaller houses/apartments very close by for the rest of the group but failed.

Now I know I wont find a small apartment complex I will go back to the search.

The Round House is at the top of Melaleuca drive, does anyone know of other houses in that area I could try?

Or even an area that has a group of smaller private houses. I'm looking for May 2011 so hopefully availabilty wont be an issue!

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Hi Scott

I admire what you are attempting .. it is really a large task to organise for so many

First there are very few "small house" on the island as land is like $1,000,000.00 plus for a vacant block (currently some are more than 2.5 million) so in order to retain the value, those who build look to the future and the homes are usually quite large and spacious

Nearly all the homes are built on hills in order to get the best views.. HI is actually quite hilly which is great for the outlook but not easy to get around

If you rented a number of houses, they wouldnt be side by side but up hill and down dale and mostly be away from the main resort areas which if you have older children, will restrict their ability to get out on their own

I would seriously consider the apartments Barina has mentioned.. it doesn't matter if you share the pool and as I said, they are often near empty as people like to be out and about and down by the beach and when a large crowd arrives, most people vacate anyway

I would contact Accommdation Whitsunday or the local PRD office on HI which also does holiday rentals .. they have access to all sorts of accommodation and will be able to help you get as close as possible to what you require

Also there is the free shuttle bus which services most of the apartments and this makes it easier for those who want to go off and do their own thing .. especially older children and teenagers

I promise it will be all worth while once your arrangement are taken care of .. you will all have a ball

Abbey

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday homes for large group

EVen though their website says to email, I rang Nicola from Stayz on 07 3103 3000 as I really wanted a personal conversation and she was very helpful too. She may be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck! I am planning on getting married there next year so will probably be looking into a similar sort of arrangement, depending on how many guests decide to come.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday homes for large group

Aha! Got one!

After extensive googling, i finally found Peninsular Apartments (one of which is called The Quarter Deck) which are an exclusive group of 8 self contained units (sleeping 6-10), each with their own pool. They share a lap pool & entertainment area between them - perfect!

Only 6 of them are available to rent as holiday apartments (which must mean people live permanently in the others - so not entirely exclusive use but close enough!)

They are quite a reasonable price too, when split between everyone.

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island