We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NorthCape 1A review

Sydney
Level Contributor
184 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
NorthCape 1A review

We returned on Tuesday after 6 nights on Hamilton Island staying in NorthCape 1A, and having survived Cyclone Ului.

Absolutely lovely apartment, with sensational views, up in the quieter northern part of the island. The plunge pool was to die for and got plenty of use, despite the fact that the weather was not overly wonderful whilst we were there. Hanging over the glass edge whilst in the pool, taking in the views of the Coral Sea below was simply priceless, IMO. Beautifully finished apartment which is only about 12 months old I think. 2 b/rooms (king and queen beds), 2 ensuites and a 3rd toilet. Spa bath in the main bedroom, which is kind of quirky, and standing in the shower, or even using the loo, whilst looking across to Whitsunday Island is not an everyday experience for me, and one which I enjoyed very much! Basically new buggy, with weather protection, which was also greatly appreciated.

Apartment was as indicated on the booking agents website and PDR Nationwide were a dream to deal with. Would deal with them again.

All appliences of good quality

We went as a couple for our 20th wedding anniversary. NorthCape 1A is great for couples. I would not recommend it for families, especially as the pool is not fenced from the apartment and is really a "adults only" pool.

Used Coles on Line. It was lovely to turn up and see the groceries sitting on the door step, packed appropriately. Great value for $9 delivery, to your door, on an island. Saved heaps of money when compared to the general store on the island, which was still ok value for a few bits and peices, when you consider where you are.

For the whole 6 nights that we were there no operators were able to take trips out to the reef, by either air or boat, due to the approach, arrival and impact of Cyclone Ului. This was a huge dissappointment to me, as I REALLY wanted to see Whithaven beach and fly out over the reef. However conditions did not allow for a safe (or good value) experience. I guess we will have to go back next year, but not in cyclone season :-).

After the cyclone early Sunday morning the air conditioner, spa and TV reception never worked (we went home Tuesday). Also dissappointing, but what can you do?

I was very impressed with the Island Management procedures for cyclone safety, with instructions in your room about what to do and a lock-down enforced for all staff and visitors from about 8pm Saturday night, until about midday on Sunday. This is very important as many visitors had no past experience with cyclones and most of the staff appeared to be in a similar position.

Loved the views from where ever we were on the island. Just beautiful, despite the fact that I suspect that we have not seen HI in anywhere near it's best light.

Thanks to all that I had read on tripadvisor, we knew what to expect re pricing, bookings etc, and I really recommend that you read up, if you are like me and prefer to have a fair idea of what to expect when you get there.

The ability to fly direct to the island and be no more than a 5-10 min golf buggy drive from your apartment is a big plus for HI. We felt like our holiday started as soon as we stepped off the plane.

I will post my thoughts on the various resturants shortly.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NorthCape 1A review

Hi Est

Thanks for your review on North Cape! Sounds like you enjoyed your stay (well minus the cyclone!). What s shame that you didn't get to see Whitehaven or the Reef, but totally understandable that the tour operators cancelled all tours.

Great to know that North Cape is also good for couples. I might consider it next time I travel up there (and the sound of the plunge pool sounds wonderful!

Also good to hear about Coles Online. Yes the supermarket on the island is ok for things that you may have forgotten, but can become very expensive otherwise.

And it is also good to know the procedures by the island management for the cyclone.

Thanks again, and Im looking forward in reading your reviews on the restaurants.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,207 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NorthCape 1A review

Hi est-888

Great Trip Report - a shame about the weather but at least you had a lovely apartment.

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading your review.

EM.

Sydney
Level Contributor
184 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NorthCape 1A review

Yes, due to the weather, we ended up spending a lot more time in the apartment than we had anticipated. One benefit of going in the low season is that you can usually get a better rate on accomodation, and it was easy to get into the resturants etc.

We finally got out on the Denison Star for the dinner cruise on Monday night. Only 13 guests, normally average of 45 apparently.

In line with the rest of the trip, as soon as we got out of the marina, a massive deluge of rain came down, with 30 knot winds. I heard the captain swearing to himself over the lack of visability, and after about 15 mins of he and his mate trying to find markers etc, he headed back to the marina, tied up, and we ate dinner tied up to the berth. At least the boat didn't rock while we ate dinner, because it was sure rocking whilst we were out in the passage.

What can you do but laugh?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NorthCape 1A review

My thanks as well est_888

I thought Northcape would be an amazing experience and I am so glad it didn't disappoint.... as I mentioned previously, just standing up the top near the road I felt like I could reach out and touch the passing yachts so I can only imagine what it would be like on the balcony

Like the others, I am sorry your experience wasn't better but hopefully you saw enough to want to return .. In 19 years of visiting the island, I have never seen a cyclone or even really bad weather except for heavy rain so can only sympathise with you and wish it had been different

Visitors comments are always appreciated and useful so thanks

Abbey

5. Re: NorthCape 1A review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island