We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Early Check Out Late Flight Question

This is kind of a last minute question but I'm hoping someone might have some quick advice for me.

We're leaving tomorrow for 4 nights on HI. Check out time at our apt is 10 am but our flight home doesn't leave until 3 pm. We are a family of 4 (including one very pregnant mum and 2 kids ages 3 and 7). I have requested a late check out but it cannot be guaranteed.

So my question is:

How challenging will it be for us to find something to do for about 4 hours with no transportation and with all our luggage?

I am seriously considering booking an additional night just so we can keep the apt and the buggy for the additional hours before our flight leaves. Would this be worthwhile?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Hi Jen,

I was in the same situation in March, early checkout, late flight... I was about 33 wks pregnant, we had a 2yo toddler too. I thought it would be OK .. but to be honest, it wasn't. It was too hard for me to walk far and it was *really* hot that day so we had to hire another buggy which cost an extra $60? or something... and we struggled to find *anywhere* air conditioned to hang out in during the heat of the day. My toddler needed to nap too.. she slept on my lap in the buggy as we drove around.. not ideal given we were doing the big plane trip home that night and she really needed to be rested to avoid tantrums on the plane!

It wasn't a big deal as it was only a few hours, and we got through it, had a swim in the pool and something to eat and the time went quickly .. but it would have been really nice to have the room during this time. Given our time again I would organise earlier flights.

If you are only paying $300 for the extra night... and with a few little ones in tow... personally I would feel that's worth it. Depends how budget conscious you are. But other members here might have some better suggestions that I didn't think of.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

ps: the luggage wasnt a problem as they held it in storage at the unit for us... but not having access to it was hard as we had to lug aroung change of clothes, swimmers etc... and then repack at the airport... annoying!

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Thanks for the advice. We've been told that they will not hold our luggage for us (we're at the Frangipani apts) which just adds to the hassle.

After reading about your experience, I think our best option might just be to book another night.

Thanks again

Jen

melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Yikes! I cant imagine how you would lug bags aroud too. The concierge are *really* nice at the Reef Hotel, and even though you aren't staying there, if you asked sweetly I'm sure they would hold luggage for you (they do tons of it every day) also they have a 'departure lounge' where you can have showers etc... but it's not the sort of place you could hang around for hours in.

Also the place you hire the buggies from may do it too.

But hopefully you can get the extra night at the apartment! That would be MUCH easier.

Enjoy! I have very fond memories of our trip and am very jealous! Read my review earlier in the forum for how we went with the childcare etc.

:-)

Have a great time :-)

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Hi there,

How did you find it? What did you do? Have you got any tips for future travellers who might find themselves in the same situation?

Thanks

TW

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Hi yellowbrickroad

I would also be interested in how you got on

Unfortuneately this is a common problem with travelling when check out times and flight times dont always work in together.. it was excellent when there were 2 flights a day but now that they have been cut down, it certainly makes it difficult with young children.. you used to be able to check in early but with security and everything else these days it is hard

I have been told that the buggy hire people at the airport will hold your luggage till flight time but haven't confirmed this .. it is something I intend to do and as I am flying up tomorrow for 3 nights, will try and confirm

let us know but other than that, I hope you had a good time although I believe the weather wasn't that good

Abbey

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Well, we decided to book an extra night just to guarantee a late check out. It worked out fine, but was probably unnecessary because the island was not crowded at all while we were there. But I figured it was better to have use of the buggy and the apartment right up until we were ready to leave for the airport.

We had a great time and the weather was really lovely- not a drop of rain while we were there. We really enjoyed the H2O Sportz triple treat tour. The crew was great and it was lots of fun for the whole family.

We loved HI and hope to have a chance to go back at some point. Great family holiday!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Thanks yellowbrickroad for your final thoughts on your stay.. I am so glad you all had a great time

I did check with the airport buggy hire shop and yes they will keep your bags there if you hire a buggy .. a half a day is $60.00 so that is a good option for those who have to check out at 10 am

They dont take any responsibility but as the bags are tied up outside the shop which is staffed all day long.. I think they would be fine as long as you take any valuables with you

I hope you return one day

Abbey

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

Hi

FYI when we stayed up there last year at Anchorage Aprtments, on the day we were to check out, our luggage was collected at around 11am but we still were able to keep our room and buggy until about 1pm when we met the ground operator back at the airport, gave her back the buggy and then took our luggage and checked in. So I guess it would depend on the availability of your room as to whether or not they can allow you to have late check out. I am not too sure how different this is if you are staying in the main HI properties though.

10. Re: Early Check Out Late Flight Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island