We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

Hobart, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

Hey guys,

So my partner and I are looking to book to go to Hamilton Island for 5 nights. I've looked at the site and everything, and its looks lush as. I've also read some reviews.. But I would like to know your opinion? Is everything there worth the charge? What is too pricey and expensive? Best hotel rooms? (I'm looking at the reef view) and also did you find activities fun?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

Hi Izzyabs and welcome to the TA Forum.

Have a read through the FAQ's which are located on your right hand screen. These links will provide you with heaps of tips and suggestions regarding Hamilton Island.

Prices for food is a little more pricey due to HI having to ship food over from the mainland however its not too expensive.

Hopefully DE's G/W or Abbey will be able to assist you with more advice.

(bump)

EM.

2. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 02:35
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

There are so many choices and everyone has different tastes so it's rather hard for anyone to answer your question. I personally have eschewed the reefview for a bure in the garden.. I've stayed on the Island a few times and if I had longer this trip I'd probably opt for a private home with pool. I really don't think there are too many BAD choices and as EM says, the drinks and food are pricier than mainland due to transport costs. Don't expect to find a bargain. If budget is an issue there are cheaper options ... I would work out what type of accommodation suits your budget and then read the reviews. If you look at sites like STAYZ or similar you will be able to read reviews from previous guests when it comes to assessing private houses. With only two of you, a room only in one of the hotel properties would probably be a good way to go but look around, research .. remember too that there are events such as Hamilton Race Week which book the island out entirely so WHEN you choose to go will also have an impact on price and availability.

Tazzie
Level Contributor
5 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

Hi Iz, The guys and girls are right- lots of options for all tastes and budgets from accomodation to activities. Stayed at Reef View last Oct clean, friendly and good value for money. Staying this time (at less cost) in a private holiday home sharing with another couple. No cost activities- swimming in the public resort pools at Catseye, laying on the beach soaking up the holiday sun, bushwalking the island trails taking in the views. Not to expensive is a day on the water with a hired dingy or a kayak (pack a picnic) or spend a bit more and do an organized reef/snorkeling tour. Or whole hog

Helicopter to Whitehaven. Research is half the fun !!! Enjoy

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

Hi Izzyabs7

My last visit there (in May last year) I stayed at the Reef View. I found it to be great - the rooms are clean and fresh and also quite large! And the view from your room would have to be one of the best!! There are two room categories, garden view (which is up to floor 4 i think) and coral sea view (which will give you views of Catseye Beach and the sea). Check out my profile as I have put a heap of pics on there which inc the Reef VIew (I stayed on the 10th floor). I have also stayed at the Whitsunday Holiday Apartments which is the other high rise right next door to the Reef View Hotel. These are self contained apartments (we stayed in a 1 bedroom) and the views are along the same as the Reef View. The only difference is that you get a kitchen and living area with a seperate bedroom. So good if you want self contained accommodation with a view of Catseye Beach and the sea.

Last year I also went up in February for 5 nights. This time we opted for a self contained apartment. It seemed to be better value because it included a golf buggy. Majority of these self contained properties are privately owned and are spread around the island. They are in small complexes where you share a pool in each complex. We paid $265/night and were very happy with the accommodation we had (we stayed in 1 bedroom villa called The Anchorage #10). Some rooms will get a bit of a view, but it all depends on where the villa's are located around the island. But we didnt really spend much time there as we had another 10 friends staying at Blue Water Views - so we hung out there. They did have great views from their balconies!!

In my opinion I think the price of dining on the island was quite ok considering it is an island resort. And if you do compare it to other island resorts in the Whitsundays, they seem to have a little bit more variety for dining as it is a much larger / developed island. You would expect to pay approx $30-$40 for a main in some of the restaurants. But on the other hand, you can get pizza's for about $25 or even takeaway. If you look at a self contained apartment they have a bakery on the island where you can pick up fresh bread etc and also a supermarket (but I would say to pre order your food from Coles on the mainland as it is expensive). The best value for money meal we had would have to be the Marina Tavern. Great food everytime and it is a nice casual atmosphere.

With regards to the activities and the charges, well I thought they were also ok. We actually played bingo every day and ended up winning enough free tickets for all 17 of us to play putt putt (also free cocktails and free meals). I went on the Quad bike adventure (which was about $120 i think!!) and it was great. I also wanted to do the sea kayaking sunset tour as

Other things that you can do which are free is sitting by the pool, going on one of the many bushwalks around the island, they also have free sports activities in some of the pools like aqua aerobics, water polo, trivia nights, if you are there on a Sunday they have a band playing down by the marina in the afternoon, and down by the beach they also have other free activities like cricket, beach volleyball etc. Have a look though at this link because it will tell you about the activities guide and the costs hamiltonisland.com.au/Activities/Documents/d…

So I guess it is really what you make of it while you are up there on the island....the 3 times I have been up there in the last year have been great and each time we have always done different activities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

sorry Izzy

and thanks Em for bumping this question .. I have also delayed writing as I have a very sick 90 yo dad at the moment and I thought the question posed a quite extensive reply which Barina and TW have addressed

I was on the island 3 weeks ago so I might pm you Izzy to give a more detailed reply specific to what you want to know

Abbey

7. Re: Hotels, meals, activities, prices..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island