We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

I am planning a holiday to HI for my husband's 40th birthday. I would love to take him to a nice restaurant on the night of his birthday, but I need one that is happy to have kids (2.5 years and 8 months old).

We take our kids out reasonably often, so they are used to eating at nice restaurants, so I am not too worried about them. But I have read on the HI website that most of the fine dining restaurants do not allow kids under 12 to eat at their restaurants for dinner.

Does anyone know which ones do? Thanks so much!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

Hi holidaynell

I checked out the restaurants on the offical site as I didn't think there were too many restaurants that didn't cater for children

Bommie is the newest restaurant, it only allows children over 12 and I can understand as it is definitely pitched at the romantic type dinner for 2 or more .. tables are quite close together and with candles, has a lovely atmosphere and I think high chairs would look out of place..

The Beach Club only allows over 18's, again the Beach Club caters for honeymooners, couples etc and the restaurant is nicely situated overlooking the pool

The 2 restaurants which might suit are Romanos (Italian) and Mariners (seafood) both overlook the water but are also popular for weddings etc so I didn't think they could have a no child policy as children often are included in on island weddings (necessary as family babysitters are not readily available on an island)

HI is definitely a family island and many families like to take their children out for a meal.. us we speed eat with the grandkids, dinner at 5.30 and back before 7.00 (if we last that long).. we usually eat at Mariners Tavern, Sails or the Manta Ray but these are definitely more laid back

Hope you have a great time

Abbey

Whitsunday Island...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

The only place I would consider is Manta Ray, as your children are quite young it would be the most appropriate place. When staying on the island kids eat free (they get a cute little wrist band), I have taken my little one's to Romanos but the atmosphere was not right for small children (also the stairs would be a hassle with a pram).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

I think Whitsunday helper that they want a more upmarket restaurant than the Manta Ray.. whilst we love it, pizzas may not be what they were after.. I know they have main meals as well but a more limited menu

Children only eat free if they are staying in resort accommodation.. if staying in an apartment it doesnt apply but in this case considering the ages of the children, it shouldn't make any difference

I think the island does need something else in between.. as you mention there are steps for both Mariners and Romanos and no I wouldn't take very young children to either but then we prefer more laid back style eating

I havent eaten at the Reef Hotel for dinner so that is one I forgot.. it is situated by the pool and at night I think could look quite lovely.. maybe a thought

Abbey

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

Hi

You could eat at Romano's, just make a booking and ask for seating in the upper level (and tell them you will have a pram). I haven't seen kids in Romano's when I have dined there before, but they do take kids because that is where I had my wedding reception (on the lower deck). They also do have kids meals (which looked good!).

The Reef Hotel could also be ok, I have eaten breakfast and lunch there. However, your only concern may be the swimming pool. It is all open so you might be a little concerned if one of your kids gets away from you.

5. Re: Nice restaurant for dinner with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island