We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyclone Yasi - Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

Monday 31 January 2011 (5:00pm AEDST)

Based on the advice from various meteorological sources, Hamilton Island has started to take precautionary measures for the potential onset of Cyclone Yasi. It is expected that the initial effects of the cyclone will reach Hamilton Island tomorrow afternoon with the cyclone itself expect to cross into the area on Wednesday.

As the safety of guests, staff and residents is paramount for Hamilton Island management we have now made the early decision to stop taking bookings as of this morning for new arrivals over the next seven days.

We have also asked guests on the Island to postpone the remainder of their holiday and are assisting them with rescheduling their flights to depart today.

Guests will have the option of taking the remainder of their holiday at another time.

Systematic staff evacuation will also take place over the next couple of days. Buses to Brisbane have been arranged for staff members who cannot get on to flights.

There are currently around 1200 guests on the island and a population of 900 staff and 200 residents.

At this time of year, cyclones are a fairly normal occurrence in the northern part of Australia. As such, Hamilton Island is well prepared. It has the biggest commercial airport in the region as well as its own power and water infrastructure facilities.

Extensive operational procedures are being put in place with external areas of the Island being tidied and yachts now being secured at the marina. Fuel supplies are being checked to ensure we have adequate provision for emergency generators and catering is being put in place for those who remain on the Island.

Hamilton Island experienced strong winds but did not sustain any damage from last night’s Cyclone Anthony.

For further information:

Jill Collins

Group PR Manager

0417 654 474

Joanne Wilkinson

Group Communications Manager

0416 036 713

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

I also want to send my best wishes to all the reisdents in the affected areas and hope they all come through safe and sound

Also to those staff remaining on the island. Could be a challenging few days with no electricity .. quite eerie I think... Just waiting for it to hit. Good luck.

Abbey

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

god bless one and all that will be in the path of this cyclone,please stay as safe as possible and listen to all warnings and advice,it sounds like one huge cyclone indeed.

my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

Good luck to everyone in Queensland. I know we all whinge about our country becoming a nanny state, but I thought this afternoon that we have so much to contend with, with the natural hazards, that maybe it is good that the risks that can be minimized, should be.

My fingers are crossed for you all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

Just adding my good wishes & hope everyone comes through unscathed.

5. Re: Cyclone Yasi – Media Statement - issued 31 January 5:00pm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island