We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

are we talking morning or evening maybe ? or are we talking a complete & total washout for the whole day ?

I love weather forecasts I do. You can totally grasp what it is going to be like by that one little symbol - NOT !

Now I know that no one has a crystal ball but typically at the moment, does anyone know if we are talking hit & miss or is it a case of thinking of indoor activities ? I so, so want to do my sailing trip and Hubby is desperate to play his round of golf. We have another 11 days till we arrive so the forecast doesn't quite go upto then. Am hoping it's just big round sunshines by then ! :)

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Hopefully the weather they are having up there at the moment will clear up by the time you arrive. We were at the island last week and had perfect weather, this week is a different story.........but that is the way weather is.

They had forecast thunderstorms for a couple of the days we were there. We had a couple at night, at not much to worry about. We also had one in the morning and it clear to be a perfect day.

Nola :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

It is coming to the end of the wet season. 3 times I have been on the island in February and only once it rained. It rained on and off for the whole day, but it was still hot so we sat ourselves at the pool bar and relaxed!

Another time I went in May, it was overcast but no rain.

Weather typical at this time of the year can mean that it can be nice and sunny and then have a storm come over and rain - whether it be for 10 minutes or an hour. There are still plenty of activities available for wet weather. And getting around is still good as there is the island shuttle bus if you a) don't hire a golf buggy or b) have a golf buggy included with your accommodation

Either way, I hope you have a great time!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
857 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

If your bus driver on the island is a chap named Dan, please say "hi" from his wife's uncle, just to give him a fright ;-) Niece is the chef at the golf club

Edited: 30 March 2011, 05:58
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Watch the rain live ... www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR223.loop.shtml

And this has been a hell of a wet season and no sign of a break as yet so could push into May the way it's going.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 07:08
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Thanks for that info. Think we will just pack for all weather but keep our fingers and toes crossed that we are lucky !

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Even though it may be raining, the days will still be warm. You will probably only need a light cardy for the evening. This is the beauty of the tropics!

Have a great time at Hamiltion as I am sure you will ;)

Nola :)

Edited: 04 April 2011, 03:06
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Hi guys, just reading through your comments is interesting.

Me and my partner are planning a 6-month trip round Asia/Oz/NZ and part of it is taking in the GBR but we would be there in around about March. Does the wet season/cloudy weather affect any of the diving/snorkelling in the reef? I.ee is it less clear or anything or is it ok to visit this time of year?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

Weather and rain can effect visablitly out at the reef.

March is the end of the wet season, so should be OK. This year has been different though for the whole of Queensland and we have had record rain falls.

Nola:)

9. Re: Weather. When they say thunderstorms .....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:23
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island