We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do?

Pretoria, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What is there to do?

Hello fellow travellers!

My sister and I are off on a 4 week adventure to Australia and we have booked 7 nights in an apartment on Hamilton Island.

We are both students and want to make the most of our stay on a (dad's) tight budget.

What are the must-see tours (neither of us having a diving licences but happy to snorkel) and to-dos. What companies are best to go with?

Also if you have any cost-cutting tips and any to-dos that could help us!

Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do?

Hi there

Firstly seeing though you are staying in an apartment I would highly recommend to per order your groceries online via www.coles.com.au that way you can buy groceries and as you are in an apartment you have options to cook some meals etc. there is a small supermarket on the island but they do charge a little more than what you'd pay on the mainland.

You can get around the island on the free shuttle bus as you won't be able to hire a golf buggy as you don't have a drivers licence.

Many of the bars have happy hour drinks so this will also save you a little bit of money.

Things to do: have a look at the Hamilton island website for all the activities. There are free activities and also others you have to pay for. I would definately recommend a day trip out to the Great Barrier Reef (this is a full day), visit One Tree Hill for sunrise and/or sunset, hike to the top of the highest point on the island for great views, play trivia in the tavern and bingo (you win prizes such as free drinks, buy 1 get 1 free meals etc).

Have a fun time!

Sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do?

barina80,

How can you not mention a trip to Whitehaven beach ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do?

The apartments come with a golf buggy and if the girls have a drivers licence from their own country then they can legally use the golf buggy

I think the question of buggy's is interesting as I am sure no one is ever asked to show their drivers licence when they book an apartment??

Have a great time girls, its a beautiful place and you can do as little or as much as you want ... There aren't many singles holdiay on HI so not a lot of night life but if you do use the buggy, then be aware there is a curfew when they can't be driven and security can confiscate the keys

Definitely check out the weekly activity sheet and for any water activities, check the weather as they don't always run if the weather turns so don't leave any must do sights till the end of the week

The marina tavern serves good reasonably priced meals and you can always buy a b b que chicken and chips, get your own bottle of wine and sit by the harbour

Have fun

Abbey

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do?

What are the must-see tours (neither of us having a diving licences but happy to snorkel) and to-dos. What companies are best to go with?

She's meaning a Diving licence.....

When we booked our apartment Abbey we had to send through photocopies of our drivers licence for the buggies.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 20:33
Brisbane
Level Contributor
58 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there to do?

Stating dates of travel are pretty essential for more help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there to do?

Ive had to show my license when going to pick up the buggy upon arrival before.

Have a dance at Bohemes nightclub :)

Whitehaven of course, cant be missed.

Beach time.

If you get bored and need some nightlife a day trip to Airlie or even an overnight trip (costs nothing for backpacker accom there).

Bring your sneakers and hike up the hill for sunset, awesome view!

Happy hour at the pool bar - is it two for one cocktails or just cheaper? I cant remember. Mud slide cocktail for dessert - yummo! :)

7. Re: What is there to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island