We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

JUst curious if anyone has experienced the trip to Whitehaven beach and if you needed to wear a stinger suit. I will have my 1 and 2yr old with me and was just curious if they could paddle in the water there - or is the risk of stingers too high?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

Persoanlly i dont see an issue with paddling and at the age of your children I would make sure they are well covered anyway, long sleeve rash vest, long shorts and hat, so the clothing will provide protection.

There is much more chance of them getting a severe (or any) sunburn than there is of stingers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

We visited whitehaven beach with an organised trip from airlie beach (shute harbour) They were not keen to let you in the water without a stinger suit on. Might just be overcautious with all that public liability insurance and all the rest. The boat provided them so i just suited up along with all the other tourists.

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

thanks Guys, i appreciate the advice. Stingers just weren't something i had considered. I will definitely get some long sleeved stuff for them as well for sun and stinger protection.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

What month are you visiting ??

For info on stingers -

http://www.marinestingers.com.au/

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

Hi

We didn't have them on a trip we did (February) however a friend of mine went out waist deep in the water and stood on another stinger (not sure what it was called) but it was pretty bad - we were rushed straight back to the marina and had medics waiting. In the end she was ok but her foot is badly scarred from it.

6. Re: Whitehaven Beach - do you need a stinger suit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island