We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm bungalows and bringing food

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Palm bungalows and bringing food

Hello all

First trip to Australia coming up and not too sure about the rules regarding resorts and food/ flying. We are staying at the palm bungalows and we have a room with a kitchenette etc and microwave which is ideal as I don't want to eat out for every single meal.

We arriving to Hamilton by plane from Sydney. Are we allowed to bring our own food and wine in our luggage to Hamilton?

It's just that we are staying at Fitzroy towards the end of the trip and it says that only alcohol bought on site can be consumed. Is it the same with Hamilton?

thanks if you can help

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

Hi Dearlicious ... you can take alcohol and food (but avoid fruits due to potential fruit fly problems) on to Hamilton Island. Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

I would check to see what exactly is available for cooking

I haven't been in the palm bungalows for some time and they have been refurbished but I'm not sure if you would be able to cook a proper meal.. They are not large and I thought the kitchenette was only for making tea and toast and maybe reheating ...

I don't think they are supposed to be self catering ... If you wanted to prepare meals you would be better off in a Whitsunday apartment which have full kitchens and fridges

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

Many thanks for your responses. I think I want to take things like tuna, olives and some other basics really, so looks like I should be ok. Thanks again for taking time to help me

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

Don't forget there is a supermarket on the island that has all your essentials - fruit, bread, milk, snacks, etc. Just keep an eye on the meat and veg as we found that we missed out sometimes due to being too slow or not arriving at the right time to buy.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 11:35
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

Bottle shop on the island is not too badly priced. Of course the Oatley wines are ever present- but they nice.

I hate taking wine in luggage- you just never know how it will end up...

6. Re: Palm bungalows and bringing food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now