We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few Hi questions!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
A few Hi questions!

Hey there,

I'm quite the whizz when it comes to Fiji (see post count), but Hamilton Island I'm completely out of my depth / know nothing about.

We are heading there next September for my good mates wedding, and my wife and I are thinking about splurging a little whilst there.

Qualia we are considering, and the price is comparable to many of the higher end resorts in Fiji. Qualia strikes me as similar to Yasawa Island Resort in many ways. Nice room in a nice location, with a stunning beach out the front.

1. Do you need a stinger (I gather this means jellyfish) suit to swim in any water around Hamilton Island (outside of a pool), even Pebble Beach at Qualia? What about surrounding islands?

2. The Leeward Pavilion at Qualia has a pool apparently, but is there also a main complex pool that looks out over Pebble Beach?

3. With the exception of the picnic basket, are beach drop offs complimentary, and if not what cost is associated with them/picnic lunch? How long are you out there for and are the beaches for you only, or others? This is similar again to Yasawa, but it was only you and the beach!

4. Tours to Great Barrier Reef, and Whitehaven beach, are both worth doing (given we have been to the Yasawas and other areas of Fiji, which house some stunning - and swimmable - beaches)?

5. Re the above, is it better to do a glass bottom boat ride, or better to do a scenic flight from the air?

6. and this is a random one, but what are the public toilet facilities like around Hamilton Island, or are all the resorts fairly close to each other and open with facilities?

Thanks for any assistance on these topics ... It's much appreciated from this nervous / anxious traveller :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few Hi questions!

Hi there

To answer your questions:

1. Do you need a stinger (I gather this means jellyfish) suit to swim in any water around Hamilton Island (outside of a pool), even Pebble Beach at Qualia? What about surrounding islands?

I have never seen anyone wear the stinger suits off Catseye Beach (the main beach) and I would assume the same for Pebble Beach. September is usually ok without stinger suits, it is a requirement if you are going out to the reef or a snorkel trip later in the year through til around March.

2. The Leeward Pavilion at Qualia has a pool apparently, but is there also a main complex pool that looks out over Pebble Beach?

The Leeward Pavilions do not have a pool - the Windward Pavilions do have a private plunge pool which overlooks the ocean. The rooms are both stunning, regardless if you get one with a pool. They are also very private, no one can see into any other room. And the bathrooms - they are huge!

There also is the main pool down by Pebble Beach and also a restaurant. And another pool is at the long pavilion (main hotel lobby area).

3. With the exception of the picnic basket, are beach drop offs complimentary, and if not what cost is associated with them/picnic lunch? How long are you out there for and are the beaches for you only, or others? This is similar again to Yasawa, but it was only you and the beach!

I am not too sure about this - I do think it is not complimentary though. You can contact qualia concierge on guestservices@qualia.com.au or phone 07 4948 9491 and they will give you the answers

4. Tours to Great Barrier Reef, and Whitehaven beach, are both worth doing (given we have been to the Yasawas and other areas of Fiji, which house some stunning - and swimmable - beaches)?

Personally for me, I have only been on a snorkel safari which included a stop at Whitehaven Beach. As I too have been snorkelling to some of the more remote and pristine areas of the reef off Lizard Island.

I would suggest to definitely do the trip to Whitehaven Beach it is stunning. The day trip to the outer reef is 2 hours each way so I'm not too sure if you want to travel that far - but I know what Fiji is like and I think that if you have been to the Yasawas then it would be nicer and not as developed as the GBR.

You can book all the day tours when you arrive on Hamilton Island.

5. Re the above, is it better to do a glass bottom boat ride, or better to do a scenic flight from the air?

I would do a scenic flight over the reef as you can appreciate the beauty from up above.

6. and this is a random one, but what are the public toilet facilities like around Hamilton Island, or are all the resorts fairly close to each other and open with facilities?

They are fine. Down by the main pool and main resort area on the beach side, there are facilities there so you really don't have to walk too far. The one by the pool as you can imagine, does get wet with guests walking in and out that have been in the pool.

Over by the marina side, there are toilets there aswell. Again, they were clean. And some restaurants (from memory) have toilets aswell.

Hope this helps!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few Hi questions!

WOAH :) Thanks sooo much .. that's heaps of information :-)

Much appreciated.

My wife and I have thought more about it, and this might change things.

Is the GBR better accessed (and experienced) from out of Cairns? We are thinking maybe a Quicksilver / Reef Explorer Cruise, or even an overnight trip to the reef. At same time ticking Cairns off the list. Then from there flying back to Hamilton Island (either direct or via Brisbane), and just enjoying Qualia for the time we are there :)

3. Re: A few Hi questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island