We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
78 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

We are an older family group staying in a house on HI for a week from end of Jan . Three questions

1) We are not massive drinkers, but we love a beer and wine.Are we best doing this on line and have delivered with say Dan Murphy's or Coles. Does this happen at HI?

2) Activities are very expensive. I have been to Whitehaven before. Can anyone recommend a snorkel trip that is not too expensive that does not involve Whitehaven?

3) I will get stuck one night paying for dinner with the grown up kids. I have read reviews on TA, but can anyone recommend somewhere nice , not too expensive for Dad ( me) with a nice view.

4) Is there any where to eat thats BYO? Might save some money there!

thank you

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

We were at Hamilton Island two weeks ago and stayed in one of the villas - 4adults- same of you, Mum, Dad with adult son and daughter and like you had to do the 'pay for dinner out one night' Most of the restaurants are pricy, but the food is fairly good and every one of them has great views.

Now this is what we found in regards to cost of things compared to home: Café coffee : same price as home and quite good. Bakery: same price at home, able to get everything same as home and actually tasted better! Now beer - Hubby brought a carton of Old and it was only $3.00 more than home. I brought a bottle of wine and it was the same price as home. These were brought from the bottle shop in the 'village'. There is a supermarket on the island and it's fairly well stocked, prices are about 10% more than home (lettuce was super expensive that week tho!) We did an online grocery shop at Coles and had to pay an extra $17 (from memory)for delivery. Be aware there is no delivery on weekends and you need to book your delivery date, unfortunately for us we were arriving on the Sunday and the Monday was already booked out so we had 2 & 1/2days before we got our groceries (they didn't arrive until 11am Tuesday) so we had to 'island shop' for the Sunday, Monday and for Tuesday breaky.... so make sure you book your delivery date as soon as you can.

Eats that are BYO - there is a great little bakery, The Mantra Ray Cafe does great Pizzas and the Fish&Chippery is delicious.

activities - The resort pools are free to use, the Putt-Putt golf isn't too badly priced, there's a ten-pin bowling alley $59 1hour; $89 2hrs (max 6 people) price per lane; and of course all the resort water sports which can be hired - we hired a catamaran for an hour cost was $50.00. Parasailing was $90single or $140tandem. The sunset cruise on The Edge is $65.00 per adult and is fantastic. Our Son and Daughter did a helicopter hot lap (6min flight around the island) loved it and it cost $66.00 each.

At the resort booking desk they have a guide of what's happening thoughout the week and throughout it are lots of hidden gems - freebies and discounted activities at certain times of the day eg: Go-Karting happy hour $37pp, or the Buggy rally which is a scavenger hunt over the island. There are so many activities to do on the island from golf driving and target shooting to art classes and the gym... There's also some really good hiking trails to some gorgeous little beaches and picnic spots.

Unfortunately I can't help regarding the snorkelling as we didn't do any this time, but we did go out to the outer reef (Hardy reef) last time (7years ago) and had an amazing day and it was worth every cent. The most recent pamphlet I picked up has the prices as: Full day, Adults $225 Children to 15yrs $99 this includes morning/afternoon tea and buffet lunch, snorkelling equipment and wetsuits, and use of the semi-submersible submarine and access to the underwater observatory.

Hope this all helps some way. Have a great time.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 12:20
Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

Hi

Great info kezzaloveslife!

Regarding other dining options:

Marina Tavern: great food !!! You can get chicken schnitzels for around $17. They also have live singers there and trivia nights etc.

Romanos: lovely Italian restaurant right on the marina. Book in advance and ask for a table on the lower deck. Prices are around $25-$40 for mains.

The bottle shop is right under the Marina Tavern and we also found prices to be quite reasonable. And they have a good variety.

There's also a bakery which also sell fresh sandwiches/pies etc

As for snorkel trips, we did a quick 3 hour snorkel safari where we snorkelled off another island and then dropped into Whitehaven Beach for a quick look and cold drink (you don't snorkel there).

Have a look at www.hamiltonisland.com.au and look at all the activities. You can also view sample restaurant menus too.

Whilst you're there do make sure you go up to One Tree Hill (it's a lookout) and watch sunset. They have a mobile bar there but you can also byo. If you're super keen sunrise is actually better then the sunset (in my opinion) and well worth getting up early.

Enjoy your trip! I'm on the countdown, we've got 4.5 weeks to go!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
78 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

thanks Guys.Much appreciated

we have ordered food through Coles

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

Great information kezza.. Its so helpful to get up to date prices

Abbey

5. Re: Hamilton Island Food, Drink and Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island