We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfect first day

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Perfect first day

It's been 4 months since my husband and my trip to Hamilton Island and we still remember our first day on the island as being the best, so I thought I would share it on the dull and dreary day in Tasmania.

We arrived at 10.30am from Melbourne and knew we wouldn't be getting into our hotel (Palm bungalows) until later that afternoon, so as a surprise, I had booked us in for a destination de-stress massage with spa wumurdaylin at 11.30am. I can honestly say that it was one of THE best massages I have ever had. So much so that we immediately booked in for another massage a couple of days later.

Feeling very relaxed, we wandered over to Sails restaurant for a leisurely lunch and a few drinks, then onto the Reef Hotel to book into our bungalow.

We were driven to our bungalow with our luggage in a buggy where we unpacked and made ourselves comfortable.

From there, we walked over to the main pool for a swim and drinks from the pool bar. I lost my husband there for awhile LOL. He started off to swim around the little island but took ages to get back to our seats, no he hadn't drowned, just found the bar and some lovely people to chat to!

Soon it was time to head back to the bungalow to freshen up before meeting the crew of Dennison Star for our evening cruise and meal, with of course more drinks! The crew were friendly and meal very enjoyable with the time just flying by. After landing we walked over to the other side of the road to get the shuttle to our accommodation but it was full when it came past, so we opted to walk over the hill which didn't take long at all, even with my dodgy hip.

All in all a great start to our holiday.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfect first day

What about the rest of the trip!!!

I love love love Hamilton.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfect first day

I'm also interested in hearing the rest - we've just booked our first trip there for the end of next March

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfect first day

Ok, I'll continue on with a report for the rest of the stay :)

Bit of background info, we are a couple in our 40's and had 7 days on the island. Our intentions this trip were to relax and recharge our batteries.

Day 2 - overcast

Pretty boring this day, after breakfast at Sails restaurant, we just stayed around the main pool and had a few (meaning a lot) of cocktails, which they make really easy buy letting you book them up! We just needed to provide our room key.

We meet our neighbours from the bungalow right next door, and would you believe it, they had the same surname as us! We jokingly tried to book our drinks up to their bungalow, but the bartenders were on to us LOL.

Can't remember having lunch today but do know I had a swing (or maybe a snooze) in the hammock on our verandah (love that thing). Remember this trip is about relaxing and recharging ;)

Dinner this evening was at the Marina tavern, then we picked up a few drinks from the bottleshop and headed home for an early night.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfect first day

I need to put my update from my trip their in February (which was my 5th time) so I think you've just motivated me as I took lots of photos and had a good look around at everything.

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perfect first day

Day 3 - wet

I had decided not to hire a buggy as I thought we could get around the island without it by using the free shuttle and walking. After 2 days of this we thought we'd check out the cost of one because the bus' were either full or taking the long way around. We ended up hiring a buggy where you pay for 3 days but use it for 4 (sorry can't remember the cost) especially great for this day as it was pouring. Now, anyone wishing to drive had to provide a valid drivers licence for insurance purposes and we had a little problem with that, as my husband had his licence, but it had run out the month before! Poor guy was so disappointed and I wasn't to happy that I had to do the driving all the time either. Another thing is that I'm only short, so had to sit on the very edge of the seat to reach the peddles which wasn't very comfortable :(

Once again had breakfast at Sails this morning (which is included in our accommodation) and then booked some activities we had chosen at the tour desk in the complex, which were parasailing, atv tour, jet skiing, sunset catamaran tour and helicopter tour.

Since we had the buggy and nothing else planned we decided to go for a tour around the island even though it was raining. We grabbed a couple of towels from our room to wipe the seat with and off we went. Unfortunately it wasn't really a very long trip as we didn't explore the shops as it was just to wet, so back to sails for a couple of cocktails and lunch. Would you believe it, when we got back to our buggy that someone had pinched the towels! Oh well, I'm sure they all get laundered at the same place and we had new towels provided in our room, so no big deal.

That afternoon we had a few things to sort out back home as we are small business owners and this time my husband hogged the hammock for awhile, so I read my book. Later on we had a look around the Reef View hotel where we ended up in the lounge for you guessed it, a few more drinks.

For dinner we went to the Mantra Ray cafe and had a lovely meal on the covered deck where we once again ran into our neighbours, as we all know HI is not a very big place.

After dinner we went back to the Reef View for bingo but we were 15 minutes late and it was already finished, so we stayed to watch an AFL match on the big screen and have a few more drinks. By now I'm more soft drink than cocktail, being the responsible driver that I am and having to travel at least 300m back to the room LOL. But we are doing our best to get through the entire cocktail list on this holiday.

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perfect first day

Hi barina80, I just love trip reports but this is my first one ever. I had taken my iPad so was able to take a few notes which have jogged my memory a fair bit even though the info was very basic.

It was nice that hamiriver and kandn01 had asked to read more. I hope it's worth reading :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perfect first day

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and reviews here as we all have different opinions.

Shame about the wet weather. When we were there in February it was actually the best weather we have had up there (we always go in February).

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perfect first day

Day 4 - overcast with rain

Decided we'd try the Reef View for breakfast for a change and as all the parking spots always seemed to be full of buggies, we walked using the umbrella's provided with the room and left them with the concierge. Bit of advice, don't leave them with the concierge, as they won't be there when you get back! The menu seemed to be the same as Sails and we were seated near the pool, the only real difference we found was that there were no birds and that they were slower in cleaning up.

The rain had eased a bit, so we decided to swim in the Bougainvillea pool. It's a lovely little area with no people around and no bar, so that was probably why!

Next was lunch which we got from Bob's bakery and sat in the buggy overlooking the marina while eating.

We had a 2.30pm ATV tour booked so headed off there next.

The ATV's are two seater which was quite lucky as hubby wasn't allowed to drive because of the expired licence, he wasn't to impressed about having to sit in the passenger seat though.

The instructor gives a bit of a speech, you watch an instructional dvd, then kitted up to do a short course to see if you can handle it, then off you go!

There were 3 stops on the tour. The first stop we looked over towards Whitehaven beach, the second was the resort lookout and the third we went to Coral beach.

While at the second stop the tour guide recommended lunch at the Hamilton Island golf club on Dent Island, which we could view from where we were. No worries, booked that after the tour for the next day :)

We had our second massages booked for 4.45pm and had plenty of time to get to them. Hubby had the hot stone massage but I wanted something different and couldn't decided, so got the receptionist to choose for me, which ended up being the top to toe treatment. In retrospect I probably wouldn't have chosen that as I wanted a proper massage but received a facial, manicure and scalp massage. Hubby absolutely LOVED his hot stone treatement.

Dinner that night was a Sails but booked into Coca Chu for two days time as they were completely booked up for the next night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perfect first day

Still reading - thanks saltone!

Looking forward to reading about your lunch on Dent Island, we're also planning a lunch there.

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perfect first day

Day 5 - sunny periods with a shower or two.

A light breakfast at sails then a 10am ferry ride to dent island for a two course meal and tour for $65 pp.

We caught the boat to Dent Island next to the Marina cafe where we were picked up on the jetty and taken to the clubhouse, where we had enough time for a quick look around and admire the view before the tour.

We toured around the final 9 holes of the 11km golf course in a buggy (everyone has to use a buggy as it's very hilly), I certainly wouldn't have wanted to drive, it was very steep! On our second stop someone made the comment about how rough some areas of the course are and the tour guide said yes, you have to watch out for snakes, there are a few around. With that I was straight on the buggy and didn't get off again - I hate snakes (shudder).

Made it back to the clubhouse for our 11.15 lunch where hubby had scallops and pork belly entree with snapper main and I had Guinness pie with potato and peas and a chocolate and white sponge with jelly and cream between and covered in chocolate with a side of raspberry gelato (extremely yummy). Very small serves but seemed to fill us up, or maybe it was the wine .......

After we had finished, the waitress asked which boat/ferry we would like to go back on and we chose the earlier trip. Unfortunately we didn't have anything to tell the time on and no-one came and got us. Luckily when we enquired one of the men took us to the top of the gangplank in a buggy so we made it in time even though it was almost full.

When we got back the sun was out so we went to the main pool (along with everyone else, as there wasn't a spare lounge except in the far corner), a couple of cocktails were had and later we returned to the room for a hubby's turn to swing in the hammock and nap.

Headed to one tree hill for a cocktail at sunset, no cocktails available (which was also the case when I last came a few years ago, what's up with that?) and sunset was hidden behind clouds, but a cockatoo did steal a whole packet of crackers from a man at a table when he shooed him away, was so funny.

We had a lovely dInner at Marina Cafe where we saw a few of the people from one tree hill.