We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite things!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite things!

Hello all.

My normal approach to travel, since OI am late to this wonderful occupation, is to ask you - those who live in South Australia, or know it intimately - where would you go?

I don't need help planning an itinerary day by day, I just need to know the three top spots that you would return to if oyu had the chance, that you would go back to if the opportunity arose.

Any input seriously appreciated!!!!

Kind regards,

Late Day Traveller,

Ontario, Canada

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite things!

Flinders Range

Kangaroo Island

Coffin Bay National Park.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite things!

Hello Late-Day,

Monarto Zoological Park approx. 11/2hrs from Adelaide,

Kangaroo Island

Barossa Valley

(and for me it's in that order!).

have a great time whatever you do!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite things!

The Barossa Valley! If you like sampling fabulous wines and having some great food it is the perfect location.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite things!

Kangaroo Island

Victor Harbour

any of the vineyard areas!

Ashland, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite things!

Hi Late-Day-Traveller,

Kangaroo Island

Barossa Valley

Glenelg - day at the beach, walk around the area, Happy Hour with friends at some of the bars in the area (I miss those people!)

Take care,

Snowbrdgrl

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite things!

Barossa and Clare Valley -wineries

Fleurieu Peninsula - Victor Harbour/ Heyson Track (beginning).

Glenelg Beach - walk along the beach.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
801 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite things!

Places i would go back to:

Kangaroo Island

Head of the Bight (in whale watching season)

Clare Valley

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite things!

Yup! Yup ! What they said!!! .... and McLaren Vale (picturesque wineries - and the wine ain't bad either).

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite things!

You guys and gals are the best! How did you know we enjoy wine as much as we do??? In fact, I'm enjoying an Ozzie white right now.

Clearly Barossa valley is a winner, and I am glad to hear of that - it has long been a favorite source of wines (what few we get up here in Ontario, Canada!) and Kargaroo Island is another good choice. They all are, actually, and we will be trying to fit them in. Certainly Barossa and KI will be on the list.

Thanks to all who responded and to those who might still - it is my favorite way of researching because all of you, collectively, know the are better than any tour guide could ever!

Thanks so much,

Late Day Traveller

Ontario, Canada

...a little village called Kakabeka Falls, Ont.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite things!

If you like white wines, try a Clare Valley reisling. I haven't been there (saw a travel show which said it was a nice spot) but have never had a bad reisling from the Clare - even the "cleanskins" are good.

And for something completely different, if you visit the McLaren Vale, try the D'Arenberg Moneyspider!

And if you like reds, a trip out to Mt Gambier (crater lakes) via Robe then up to Coonawarra (flat as a pancake, but the reds!!!..., Narracoorte (world heritage listed cave system, with Russet Ridge winery next door) and the Limestone Coast (some decent whites as well) are pretty and have excellent reds. A "dull as dishwater" drive for a few hours but still a very memorable part of the world (and you could swing via Padthaway on the way back, or meander through fruit/wine country along the Murray R....) Buy a bottle or two to drink on the plane trip back. to Canada...