We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

We have just returned from 6 days in South Australia (live in blue mountains NSW).

What a beautiful place to visit. I would love to see it when it is out of drought.

We stayed at Liberty Towers, Glenelg (privately owned apartment, absolutely the best, will post a review later).

My daughter was desperate to visit Harbourtown (near the airport) so we went after settling in to our apartment. She was very disappointed as she had visited Harbourtown in Queensland expecting it to be the same. She hardly bought anything (thank goodness).

We visited Hahndorf on our first full day. Had a wonderful, genuine German breakfast and the Hahndorf Inn (my husband has a German mother). Great value and beautiful food.

Did a stroll of the lolly and chocolate shops in the main street before heading to Beerenberg Farm to pick some strawberries, which was a lot of fun, also bought some mustards from the farm shop.

We then headed out to Woodside to Melba's Chocolate Factory. This is located in an old renovated dairy. The selection of chocolates and lollies here is amazing. We love dark chocolate & you could get everything in dark, milk or white.

On Sunsay we headed to Adelaide to have a look. We arrived in Rundle Mall expecting the shops to be open at 10am as they are in NSW, but they didn't open until 11! We had a coffee at Gloria Jeans in Borders Bookshop (the only place open). Not good coffee or service BUT did pick up Keith Urban's new album for $21.95 on the way out.

My daughter did some shopping in Rundle Mall.

We had lunch at Hawkers Corner on West Terrace, which was OK then back to Glenelg.

Monday we did a day tour to the Barossa with Enjoy Adelaide Tours. We couldn't fault this company.

We visited the Worlds Biggest Rocking Horse (this could be left off the tour, but we did have nice coffee and cake in the cafe). Then off to the Barossa. We visited the Angus Dried Fruit factory shop, which we thought was more expensive than we could get in a supermarket here.

We had a very nice lunch in Angaston then off to the wineries. I don't drink wine but my husband didn't enjoy the first two stops, Dorrien wines and Cockatoo Ridge. BUT the last two he really enjoyed - Grant Burge & Chateau Yaldara.

We then went to Menglar's Hill lookout for a wonderful view of the Barossa. Our last stop was at the Whispering Wall, which was amazing.

We were collected from our apartment at Glenelg at 8am and returned there at 5pm. A great, informative day out and all for $69. We would definately go with Enjoy Adelaide Tours again, it is a small 20 seater coach.

Tuesday we visited the Central market, which was quite an experience. We originally went on the Sunbday, only to find them closed! Wonderful produce, but our baggage allowance wouldn't let us buy anything :-(

We had really nice meals during our stay at the Glenelg Surf Life Saving Club, Glenelg BBQ Inn (genuine Yugoslav meals) & Hog's Breath in Glenelg.

Glenelg is a great place to stay, so close to everything and we loved the atmosphere there. Had plenty of coffee and cakes for morning/afternoon tea and delicious gelati!

We really enjoyed our time in Adelaide and can't wait to go back.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

Thanks for the feedback. Pleased you had a great time, and plan to return. Your experiences will undoubtedly be of help to others thinking of including Adelaide in their itineraries.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

Nice report. I reviewed my strawberry picking experience at Hahndorf here if it interests you:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499710-d5…

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

good report ! Agree re the big rocking horse~! Have lived here all my life and never stopped in. If you do return then I suggest you explore our lovely Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island :)

Our Harbourtown is really just a bunch of outlet shops, just another shopping centre really. You do find some bargains but it all depends on which time of year you are there (the bargains are always the "off season" stuff) For shopping she would have been better off looking through Rundle Mall or down at Marion Shopping Centre. A great idea for next time you come back is to hire a car and hire a GPS unit from the Fleurieu Tourism people, it has inbuilt maps, info and guidance for the area and suggested tours.. drive yourself and discover !

4. Re: trip report adelaide-hahndorf-barossa-glenelg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 05:43