We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Cheshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Hi guys. Just after a bit of advice please. We are in Aus for Christmas and New Year this year. Currently having 1 night in Melbourne, with 2 nights planned travelling by car to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. I have decided on the first night's stay which is Port Campbell and cannot decide on the 2nd night. Have looked at Robe and Penola (or similar) and really cannot decide. We cannot spend a 3rd night on the road, as we are arriving in Adelaide on the 23 December to stay with friends for Christmas, but planning on spending a bit of time at Victor Harbor or surrounding area before arriving in Adelaide. We are travelling as a couple, with my 21-year old son. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Either Robe OR Penola are nice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

I love Robe it's a very pretty seaside town with excellent cafes, restaurants & accommodation

wotif.com/hotels/australia-sa-robe-hotels.ht…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Yep another vote for Robe. It is a stunning little seaside town. South Australia can be very hot over the Christmas break but Robe always seems to miss the bad heat waves. We were there last December and had beautiful weather. Oh by the way great choice on Port Campbell as well. I am sure you will have a great time.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Hmmm - well I failed to notice your dates earlier . If you haven't booked something already in either Robe or VH I think you have almost no chance of finding anything suitable now. Also applies to Port Campbell.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

Thanks guys. Think Robe was my first choice too........just wanted to see what the TA community thought. Nozzie there is still a limited amount of accommodation available, so I guess I need to book up quick. Thanks again.

6. Re: Road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20