We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Looking for some advice on tours. We are travelling to the Eyre Peninsula end f December (2013) and start January (2014). There are 3 tours we are interested in while there. Diving with sharks, swimming with Tuna in Port Lincoln and the Baird Bay sea lin / dolphin tour. If we were to do 2 of the 3, which 2 would people recommend? Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

umm - well I wouldn't do either of the first two. Diving with sharks scares the bejesus out of me, swimming in a tank with thousands of tuna seems awfully grotty and yucky to me. So my only recommendation would be Baird Bay.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

I have done the shark cage diving at Port Lincoln with Calypso Star and while it was not cheap it was a great experience. We had a White pointer at the back of the boat within half an hour. Everyone had approx half an hour in the cage (4 people at a time in the cage) to view the sharks which was great. There was food supplied all day long and was of a good standard. I would highly recommend it :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Swimming with tuna is great fun. The water is clear and not grotty at all. The cages are not loaded to the same capacity as the commercial fisheries.

The tuna swim magnificently, and in their environment they are exacting, and won't hit you.

I haven't been swimming with sharks, but that seems a considerably more serious experience - further offshore and much greater cost. The tuna is just some lighthearted fun.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Thanks for your answers. We have booked for hubbie and I to do shark trip but our son arrives a few day later and misses out, so just tossing up out of the other 2 for a trip he can do :)

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Swimming with the tuna is worthwhile!!

Kingston
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

We just did the Baird Bay in November and it was over the top. Natural habitat and a small operator who really cares about wildlife. We did the tuna swim but it was too commercial and in a controlled setting. For the record, our tour was with Hassie, xploreyre "taste of wildlife" and you simply cannot find a better tour anywhere. He goes completely out of his way to make the tour most memorable and informative. Highly recommend it.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

I have done ALL of the experiences and thoroughly recommend them all. I loved my shark dive with Adventure Bay Charters (where they use music, not fish guts, to attract the sharks) Swimming with Tuna is awesome but my favourite would have to be swimming with the Sea Lions, put it top of your list. Either with Alan and Trish at Baird Bay (where you also swim with dolphins) or with Adventure Bay Charters out of Port Lincoln. Amazing and unforgettable experiences

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

Should also add..... You do run the risk of NOT seeing a shark whereas you are Guaranteed to see sea lions and tuna

9. Re: Trips on Eyre Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:17