We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

TN
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Rethinking our travel plans for the end of November. We will be driving from Halls Gap to Rawnsley Park via Renmark, Burra, Clare, Hawker. We may detour for an hour or so and see the pink lakes in Murray Sunset? We had planned for a fairly lengthy day of driving upon leaving Halls Gap and stopping for the night in Burra. I am now considering staying in Berri or Renmark for the night instead of Burra. We plan to get an early start, the sun won't set until about 8 p.m. so it should allow for plenty of stops on both days and a more leisurely pace on the first day. Your thoughts?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Remark would be the largest town of the three, with the most available by way of accomodation.

Burra would be the smallest of the three with the least available choices.

I like your plan to shorten the drive. My own suggestion would be to target Renmark as the destination, but should you arrive ahead of schedule and feeling fresh, consider then pushing on to Berri.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Burra.... inland.. historical.... older buildings...fewer choices

Renmark - on the river, more accom choices, and different things to see or do.

I'd base my decision on the type of people you are... are you more into enjoying pretty views, roses, almonds, food experience and waterways or learning about our colonial/mining history?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Actually there is a lots of accommodation in Burra - but it is mainly self catering B&B s. We have stayed there about 10times in the past 5 years and I always enjoy it.

And there is a fantastic Italian restaurant called La Pecora Negra which we just love http://www.blacksheepburra.com. You have to book though .It is incredibly popular.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

I was in Burra this last weekend and though it is a small town, there is plenty to do. I was pleasantly surprised. There are remnant buildings from the old copper mine that you might find interesting - I didn't go in as I didn't have time but it certainly looked as if it was worth exploring. I basically drove up there to photograph what is known as the "Midnight Oil house" - an delapidated farm house used on the cover one of their albums. I also spent time photographing the old railway station. In terms of eating options I only stopped for a very ordinary coffee but it looked as if there were a few places - this was mid afternoon on Saturday. I found the surrounding rural landscape quite fascinating as it's almost devoid of trees and looks barren, but somehow fascinating at the same time. But I look at these things through a photographer's eye so many would just consider it boring.

TN
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Thanks everyone. We have decided to stay at the Riverbush Cottages in Berri. We plan to visit Burra on our way to Quorn the next day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Hmm we"ve just arrived home from our trip to Quorn and stopped in Burra for lunch. Though there are a few cafes be aware most of them are not open on Tuesday or else have a very limited lunch menu.

TN
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

Thank you Nozzie. We will be prepared.

8. Re: Stay in Burra or Berri/Renmark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about South Australia