We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

Hi again..you are probably getting anxious for me to finally take and complete my trip and stop bugging you...we plan on spending one night on the fleurieu peninsula after leaving adelaide and before taking the GOR to melbourne (mar 27 thru apr 1)...would like to visit wineries, Victor harbor/granite island, goolwa, Strathalbyn, blowhole beach, port Elliot, Hindmarsh Island maybe..which location is best to spend the night?..love views of all kinds..thought we'd leave adelaide, visit the vineyards and make our way down to Victor Harbour for the night, stopping at other places on the way down, then on the way up back toward highway to continue onto GOR...sound reasonable?

also, thought we would see the coorong on the mainland side on the way to Robe, yet coorong mentioned numerous times on fleurieu peninsula posts?...thanks, ana

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

Yes your route sounds fine. You do need to be aware that we have had the most dreadful drougght in southern Australia and the lakes around Hindmarsh Island are very low in water. Not really a tourist's delight at the moment.

Re the Coorong - you are correct. It is not on or near the Fleurieu Peninsula.

If you want to stay at Victor Harbor there is McCracaken, Whalers Inn or the Anchorage all (4*) or several fairly ordinary motels and soem B&Bs. Friends of ours who live part time down there say the Anchorage is the best. www.anchorageseafronthotel.com/page.php…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

Sorry - should be McCracken. Why cant we have a b...dy editing function !!!!!!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

The Coorong is adjacent to Goolwa which is part of the fleurieu yet a lot of the body of water extends down into the Limestone Coast region..hence it would be mentioned in both. I personally love the views from the the coast between port elliot to Victor -t so I would eschew places without views for those which do. McCracken is inland and has no views of the water... With only one night it may be harder to find holiday homes to rent, Casita Alegre is my personal favourite place but unsure if they do one night stays. Your itinerary sounds fine!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

Th ecooriong is NOT adjacent to Goolwa. It starts on the other side of the Muray Mouth and extends down the coast. The Corong is NOT accessable from Goolwa either (unless in a boat). To access the Coorong from Goolwa by road you have to drive right around th Lakes and cross over the river. The Coorong is actually nowhere near the Fleurieu Peninsula as ana has rightfully pointed out.

If unsure look at a map!!!

5. Re: where to spend one night on Fleurieu Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 07:17