We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Trip Report

----------------

Had my 1 week of fun in this arid city :)

Some very light and occasional showers welcomed me :) Checked into Quest @ Williams -- quite a spacious apartment. R&R with some of my bath salt in the nice big soaking tub after the night flight.

Spent 15th and 16th shopping @ Rundle Malls.. along Rundle Street, then to the Central Market and lazying @ Glenelg. Tried the Strand and it was indeed a food institution! :D Salmon and Chicken were done up to the perfection!

17th - went on a 3hr Murray cruise. Weather was splendid with good cloud cover. Nice and friendly hosts over morning tea and lunch on Murray River with great sights of wildlife. Also saw parts of the dried up Murraylands and the abandoned houses along the barrage to the sea. Is a real pity that the ecology has become such.

Also went up to Mt Lofty. Saw the tallest building of the city skyline -- Westpac (near where I put up). Along the way, saw a picture perfect wild Koala! :D -- It looks exactly like a stuffed toy, with white fur coming out from its ears and a thick white fur collar over its neck. It is the most photogenic Koala I've ever seen! :) Visited Melba's Chocolate and bought some dark chocs.. yummy.

18th - Did the Victor Harbor and horse drawn tram. Yeah, is the very touristy stuff. Lunch was good. Weather is still kind with very light rain. Bought MORE Fruchocs along the trip with a 10% discount. Visited Hardy's cellar door too.

19th - KI. Had plenty to see on the island -- Seal bay.. seeing lots of fur seals and had a very closed up view too! :D had lunch @ Vivonne Bay Bristro, saw a display of Birds of Prey, went up Flinders Chase NP and visitors centre, climbed the Remarkable Rocks, passed by Cape Du Couedic Lighthouse, visited Admirals Arch with NZ fur seals.. though they didn't smell as nice as those seen earlier... and thanks to the wonderful driver, had enough time to visit a Koala nocturnal walk park. :)

20th Took the free city loop bus. Visited the Botanic Gardens.. very dry with no water in the supposely river....so I didn't went on to the Torrens as I have another place in mind... Well, is Glenelg again. Just couldn't get enough of it isn't it? :D Had a delicious pizza @ the Strand.. yup.. again, strolled along the sandy beach and played with the fine sand. Is a bit chilly in the evening, so I enjoyed a cuppa of Cibo :)

21st - Breakfast is Cibo vs Pancake. Cibo won :D

Departing today... saw some dust over the hills. Hope is not the dust storm spreading over from the SE.

So there was my great week! :D My feel for this city is that -- though the land is dry and the city skyline could get better and the TV programs will get more interesting hopefully, the food is great (and takeaways too), wine is good, coffee is superb, shopping is fun (esp @ Target where prices are reasonable), people are lovely (though not overly-friendly which is good as real) and the city centre and the tram are clean and graffiti free. Thumbs up Adelaideans! :D

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Thanks for your TR. Just back ourselves from that area. Great reading and memory lane. The Koala sanctuary at Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary also can be visited in the daytime. Most likely you'll see kangaroos there too.

Tet

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

i think one of my favourite TRs for a while (yours too Tet *wink* )! I am so happy that you came across such an obliging and photogenic koala too :D

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

The sanctuary has app. 30 koala's living in the wild and you sure will see them. But not all of them. We saw 7. Didn't look too good I think.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Great report star1ight! sounds like a fun week...

..now this nocturnal walk.. did you actually see the koalas moving or maybe making some sort of noise? I'm thinking it would be kind of nifty getting out and seeing them do something other than sit and sleep LOL I've never heard a koala growl, though I understand it is quite an impressive sound.. I remember tales of the old days before the koalas had all been shot where the noise of them would drive people up the wall at night... I'd be tempted to go on such a nocturnal walk just to get some idea of what it must have been like...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

thanks for the great trip report. Glad you had a good time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

snodge, the noise they make is quite guttural & deep if that makes sense...certainly not what you expect to come out of the 'mouth' of something so cute and furry. there was a funny description yonks ago in another TR about wallabies making the same kind of sound and someone being quite taken aback by it...iirc it was a 'momma' wallaby and the person came too close to the joey...the poster reckoned she sounded like the Devil himself ;o)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

If you stay at Hanson Bay the nocturnal walk is included. And we heard a Wallaby growl at a possum rights at our cabin because the possum wanted to steal its fruit.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

LOL adelaide they um bark...

possums make pretty much the sme noise when they are....

um amorous...

Blushing here....we had mating koalas outside our room at cradle lodge on our honeymoon...hence i had heard that sound...

the possums have been like that in the tree near our hosue each year, when it first started i raced out to find the koals!

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Really enjoyed reading you report. We loved our last lunch in Glenelg and would have loved a swim but had a plane to catch to Perth. Also, thought you might like to know that we tracked the stench at Admirals Bridge down to a dead seal hidden behind some rocks. We were there a couple of weeks before you so I can only image how ripe it must have been!

Koala talk!

We went on the Noctural Walk at Hanson cabins about three weeks ago and a male was at it (or wanted to be) all night! And there wouldn't have been a hope of sleeping anywhere near that racket (wonder if they hand out earplugs for the backpackers?) Cabins are down the way but the hostel's up close. Also met baby LaLa - a one year old koala who was hand reared by the owners who was found on the ground when she was a hand-sized skin and bone thing that would have been shoved off by an amourous male - bummer. Apparently there's heaps on her on their web site and she's quite famous - must take a look as she sooooo cute!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Trip Report 15/4 -21/4 of 2009

Great report and glad you enjoyed your time here.

We've had consistent rain today - such a lovely sound to hear it falling on the roof. Should be staying around all weekend too so hopefully things will start to green up a little bit.

You tend to smell the seals at Admirals Arch before you see them...