We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Australia

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Australia

Looking for some advice...

My husband may be attending a conference in Adelaide this December. Of course if he goes I will be coming along and am starting to do some early planning.

Since the conference is in Adelaide we'll be starting there but would love to also visit Sydney and get a really feel for the country during our stay.

We're in our late twenties and will be staying about 10days. We'll be on a budget so i'm looking for advice on good places to stay, sights to see, and how to travel from Adelaide to Sydney.

thanks so much...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Australia

When in December? If you're thinking NYE Sydney you will need to book your accommodation ASAP!

How long will you have in total? How long is the conference? this will help us advise with travel etc.

Everyone is on a budget! How much do you want to pay per night for accommodation?

For general accommodation ideas have a look at www.wotif.com.au

Not knowing how long you have in Sydney, I 'll give you a couple of links to get you started with ideas..

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c1162/Sydney:…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k2466…

http://www.sydney.com/Sydney_p934.aspx

Also consider a day trip to the Blue Mountains from Sydney if you have the time..

http://www.visitbluemountains.com.au/

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Australia

Hello Mlr ... we look forward to welcoming you to Adelaide. To find out more on South Australia visit www.southaustralia.com This is our tourism website and it really has all the information you need. My advice would be to hire a car and take some day trips, even if your husband is attending a conference Adelaide is a very easy city to navigate and you could spend a lovely day simply driving along our south coast beaches etc. You say you are on a budget but a small car is not all that expensive. Our public transport is fairly limited, unfortunately one can't just jump on a train to victor harbour or the Barossa.. mostly we travel by car here in South Australia. If you know of other partners why not plan some day trips. Ideas include Goolwa, Lunch at the Flying fish at Port Elliot or the Star Of Greece, McLaren vale is a MUST if you enjoy wines. You could also visit the Barossa valley, less than an hours' drive. There are tour companies in Adelaide but if you have a day or two set aside for some trips hire a car and pick up the guide for the region you are interested in and do it yourself. Once you pick the region you might be interested in .. murraylands has the river, Adelaide Hills has quaint little towns and lovely pubs/wineries. The Barossa is renowned for its history and wines, McLaren Vale is a local favourite and very close to beautiful beaches. Think about what you'd like to see and I can advise further.

Travelling to Sydney is easy.. many flights from Adelaide... When there take a trip on the harbour and if time a day trip to the Blue Mountains...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Australia

I agree with the other posters and would like to add to definitely put winery tours on your list of things to do around Adelaide! Clare Valley & Barossa Valley are both superb. There are inexpensive & very nice B&Bs in these locations if you wish to stay a night. The bay (Glenelg) marina area in Adelaide is also very nice in summer for restaurants and a few bars and is only a short taxi (or tram) ride from the CBD. The beach here is okay but busy - I prefer to hike it a bit further south for something quieter and cleaner. Or further north to Henley Beach.

There are loads of excellent restaurants in Adelaide esp on Gouger Street and Rundle Street (also good for shopping and excellent for coffee). You will also find a couple of v good bars on Rundle Street and East Terrace (there are quite a few gems around - if you need recs, just ask).

I would try and get a cheap flight from Adelaide to Sydney - you should be able to easily if you book in advance. Try VirginBlue, they have good deals on domestic flights. Driving from Ad to Sydney will take too long if you are only in the country for 10 days.

Nagpur
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Australia

There are lots of wat to travel from adelaide to sydney,First one is by Train

Twice each week, you can board Great Southern Railways Indian Pacific train at Adelaide Keswick rail terminal for the trip across to Sydney via Broken Hill. The train departs Adelaide mid morning (10:00am) each Tuesday and Friday, reaches Broken Hill that same evening, then travels through the night across the Blue Mountains and delivers you at Sydney Central station mid morning (10:15am), almost exactly 24 hours after leaving Adelaide.

The other way is little bit costly which is by airway.

Adelaide to Sydney on Virgin Blue,

Adelaide to Sydney on Jetstar Airways,

Adelaide to Sydney on Qantas Airway

washington dc
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Australia

thanks to everyone for the suggestions... they were very helpful. I'm sure i'll have more questions as i continue researching.

forgot to ask about the weather. it looks like the trip might be moved to November. what's the weather in the south like then?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Australia

Generally quite nice in Adelaide, same time last year the coolest day was 17 degrees the warmest 36 degreees and the average was 24 degrees! The average overnight temp was 14 degrees

bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW5002.200811.shtml

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Australia

i have the most outstanding program for you! I live in Adelaide but do this program religiously when in sydney and I guarantee you will fall in love with what you do, eat and see!

For the short time you are in Adelaide

Day 1. get a hotel in the city centrum. Visit Glenelg via tram during the day, have lunch at the Holdfast Shores - try the Oyster Bar for something totally different together with a great Adelaide Hills Shaw and Smith sauvignon blanc wine. Go home for a nap then go for dinner along Rundle Street. Have a cocktail at Distil, dinner at Eros/Universal Wine Bar and a coffee and cake at Cocolat. I promise an outstanding evening!

Day 2. You must visit Barossa Valley for the world's best wines. Napa Valley does not even compare. Wine tasting is free in Adelaide.Visit Grant Burge winery tell them you are from USA and sample the premium range, Rockford wineries and then have lunch at Murdochs for tapas. They look expensive but are cheap so have at least 4 different types with some great red wines. If you have time visit Maggie Beers Pheasant Farm, try her local produce and if you have more time and you feel like a walk, visit Seppeltsfield.

By this time you will be exhausted, so return to your hotel and have a short nap. If you are looking for a aperatif before a convention dinner, visit The Apothecary on Rundle Street.

If you are here on a friday night and not much going on and you are alone, visit the Adelaide Fresh Food Markets on Grote Street for the vibrancy, freshness, earthiness and free samples at most food stalls.This is a very safe and enjoyable place to visit.

3. Sydney...You must book yourself a Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb. It is $160 but is a once in a lifetime experience you must do..Don't be tight, just spend the money.Ask the hotel for a good weather day. I did it in the morning at 10am and it was breathtaking! Catch a ferry to Watsons Bay and go to Doyles for lunch. Again don't be stingy, order the $95 seafood platter and I swear you will remember the meal to your dying day. The stuffed prawns with spinach in the platter is best meal we have had in our lives! You can take a taxi or catch a bus to Bondi Beach Icebreakers for a beer and cocktail. Dinner at Waterfront restaurant along The Rocks. They are all the same owners so go to Wolfies.

4. You MUST do the Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach walk.It takes about 3 hours but you will see the best of Sydney along the promenade. The coves/bays/beaches are breathtaking and remember to stop and have a coffee at all the deli's along the way. There is a good one at Clovelly Beach.

5. Have a great breakfast on the Sydney Harbour promenade near the Sydney Opera House. Grab a coffee to go after breakfast and meander along the promenade.

I swear you will think Australia is the best place on earth after seeing just these few places. Enjoy!

I hope I have given you a great itinerary! Monica

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Australia

all great suggestions Monica... I agree with all of them.. just a couple of points though just in case the OP does take your advice and looks for those places.. it's spelt Murdock's www.murdockwines.com

and yes.. a great place for anyone to call into when in the Barossa..

also The Apothecary 1878 is in Hindley Street not Rundle Street... - closer to the convention centre as well :) A great place to go but not really budget.. you could spend a fortunie in there if you love Wines.!

How to travel from Adelaide to Sydney - defnitely fly...!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Australia

We are also planning on some time in those 2 cities. We found the best air prices on cheapoair.com going from Sydney to Adelaide and jet go.com for Melbourne to Sydney.

We went to priceline.com and bid on rooms in sydney - were very pleased with our bidding .

There is a shuttle from the airport to most hotels - it runs 12.00 per person per way. where a taxi is approx 35.00 ( so so we have been told)

Enjoy

washington dc
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Australia

Again...thanks to all. There have been some great suggestions. I've been away from the post lately, just got back from the Caribbean. Our trip is still not 100% yet, probably at 70% a go, so i'm going to really start reading up.

I really like the literary Monica, sounds like a lot of fun things to do while my husband is working.

Do you have any good suggestions on places to stay. I haven't started looking yet so i'm not sure what the price ranges are in both Adelaide and Sydney. I'm sure it will be more in Sydney. We'd like to stay for between 100-200 USD/night, is that possible?