We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great white shark day trip

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great white shark day trip

Hello all, hoping to travel to Adelaine in Feb 2010 and was wondering if anyone is aware of any day trips to observe great white sharks from either Adelaide or Port Lincoln? I do not want to cage dive, merely see them feed/swim by the boat...

Any help is much appreciated, many thanks.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great white shark day trip

You will need to go out on the Shark Cage boats as they are the only ones who take tourists to Neptune Island and the other locations Great Whites are found. Their common haunts are over off Eyre Peninsula, not in StVincent Gulf where Adelaide is sited. Look at my "what adventures can south australia offer me" in the "top questions" on this forum, have a read and you will find links to all the adventure experiences. Check the Calypso site for information as to whether they take "non divers" on the boat. I know many people who have done this and rave about it. You won't see nearly as much from the boat as from an underwater perspective though! You could always try a Tuna Swim and see if you might like to do the Cage Dive !

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
173 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great white shark day trip

Calypso Star Charters, Port Lincoln has just added an observer price to their one day charter. Please visit www.sharkcagediving.com.au.

Cheers

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
638 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great white shark day trip

As stated Calypso have just added an observor price. It is a great day out and even as an observor really worth it. However I would also encourage you to consider going in the cage. We have just recently done it and it is an amazing experience.

The cage is just off the back of the boat so you are not in deep ocean, and you can easily get back out if you have had enough. It really is amazing seeing them under the water and up close and personal. Adds another dimension to seeing them above the water.

You dont have to be a diver to do it, as really all you are doing is standing in the cage. I have never dived, and nor had 90% of the other people that went out with us.

Whatever you decide to do have fun and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great white shark day trip

I am going to be doing the Calpyso shark trip next month...

For info.... You can fly from Adelaide to Port Lincoln, its about a 45min flight.. Regional Express are the carriers http://www.rex.com.au/ , I booked up on line really easily, and got my boarding card sent to me via email.. Although of course I have not

done the trip yet, the Marina hotel is 25 yards away from where the boat departs from... I booked that up on line as well...

The shark trip was also very easy to book up online, and the emails I received were friendly and gave me all the details I required...

Hopefully some great whites will be around when I am there....

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great white shark day trip

Didnot do any shark observations but the Marina Hotel is a great pick!

6. Re: Great white shark day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 05:24