We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to handorff and beyond

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to handorff and beyond

Hi we are spending 4 nights in Adelaide in Jan adn want to hire a car to explore. Would this be a good place togo? We really don't want to drive too far and for too many days as we want to explore to city of Adelelaide in this short time too. (people travelling are husband and myself, early 30's) Thanks, Carla

Adelaide
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to handorff and beyond

Hi

If you only have four days personally I wouldn't choose Hahndorf as it is very touristy and tacky in my opinion.

If you want to spend a day visiting a region close to Adelaide I recommend the Southern Vales wine region and further afield to Victor Harbor.

Maybe set off early in the am and drive to Victor Harbor taking a look around the coast and Granite Island when you get there. If you love beautiful wild beaches head down the Fleurieu Peninsula to Waitpinga and Newlands Head. Then drive back through Willunga. Maybe stop at Willy Hill cafe for lunch (cheap and cheerful)or go on to Mclaren Vale and stop at D'Arrys Verandah for lunch (more upmarket).

Visit a couple of wineries eg D'Arenburg and Coriole. There are still lots of small quaint wineries around here.

This area is so beautiful sitting between the hills and the sea with acres and acres of green vines.

If the day is hot finish off your day with a swim at one of the beaches such as Moana or South Port.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to handorff and beyond

When in Jan are you in Adelaide?

In order to help you plan the Tour Down Under Cycling is on from about 17th to 23rd..and whilst it doesn't have a big impact there are some road closures in the surrounding areas and if like us you don't know your way around choosing an alternative can be really hard! In the outlying areas the road closures don't last very long (exception would be Aldinga/Willunga)...

Personally even though it's a bit touristy I like Hahndorf.. we were lucky enough to make our first visit during the Schutzenfest...

Nothing is very far from Adelaide and driving is very easy so you can plan on a trip quite easily to outlying areas..

Adelaide
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to handorff and beyond

Well I guess individual opinions are always going to be subjective.

However Gurus wife if the last time you visited Hahndorf was during the Schuetzenfest it must have been a very long time ago as the Schuetzenfest has not been held there for about 20 years. It is now held in the city in the parklands and Hahndorf has truly moved on since then into a full blown tourism precinct (or as many of us think-disaster).

Think Morpeth NSW on a Sunday but with a lot less charm.

While roads are closed for the Tour DownUnder they are only closed for a few hours and there are always alternative routes

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to handorff and beyond

Worthy1

It was not the last time it was the first time the last time we visited Handorf was 2 years ago and my parents were there in march of this year...Personally I think its very touristy as well but some people actually like those type of destinations...so giving info can be of use..it's good for a lunch stop as there are plenty of options..

We visited the Schutzenfest in Jan 1991 ( I know exactly when as I was pregnant.. bad timing for a trip to barossa etc).

It's not the fact that there are alternative routes during TDU its just wise to be prepared beforehand.. from a visitors perspective not knowing an area..suddenly faced withn road closure it can be very frustrating...especially if you have to sit for a few hours when you only have a few days..

south australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to handorff and beyond

Hi carls,

I agree with worthy1. I am not a fan of Harndorf it is just a main street full of toursity shops.....its charm has vanished over the years. However the drive through the Adelaide hills is lovely if you decide that is what you want to do. Have you considered a day trip to the beautiful Barossa Valley? Victor Harbour is a nice trip also and very easy to get to. Seeing as though you only have a short time here I would go there or the Barossa Valley over Harndorf. Enjoy your stay here.

Kaye