We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

We have a party of 3 adults and an 8 year old child and we will have 3 days on Kangaroo Island and then 4 days in Adelaide. From your forums have pretty much worked out Kangaroo Island except whether to stay for 2 nights as a base at Hanson Bay Cabins or at Vivonne Bay. For Adelaide we would like to do a day trip to the wineries but not sure whether to go to Mclaren or Barossa as we would need to try and mix up the wineries with some stuff for an 8 year old. Also a recommendation on self contained accommodation in Adelaide preferably just out of the city would be appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Staying outside the Adelaide CBD there is Glenelg, which is connected to the city by tram. Check for apartments on www.wotif.com

Day tours to the Barossa valley pick up in Glenelg, if you are not self driving.

www.southaustralia.com/BarossaFamilyFun.aspx

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Suggest McLaren then Victor Harbour - the horse drawn trams will be a hit with everyone - including the 8YO.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

okay.. three things...

I would pick Hanson Bay over Vivonne Bay.. if just for the reason that at Hanson Bay Cabins you are steps away from the beach and probably have views of the ocean, Vivonne Bay is a beautiful bay but the majority of holiday homes there have NO views of the bay and are futher away from the water.

At Hanson Bay you are close to Kelly Hill Caves and any 8 year old will love caves. If you did want to go kayaking or quad biking at Vivonne Bay it's really not all that far in any case.

Re wineries.... I would say McLaren Vale.. as said above... combine that with a drive to Victor Harbor and you will find more things to interest an 8 year old. Take them into the Maze at Maxwell's or to see the kangaroos at Woodstock ...

Accommodation ... Semaphore Blue apartments is a good location if you like to be near a beach.. out of the city but a nice seaside suburb. Others will tell you to stay at Glenelg which has plenty of options. Another idea is Adelaide Shores .. lots of cabin and eco tents etc to choose from there.

Take a look at WOTIF and see if anything appeals. You haven't told us a budget so there are literally HUNDREDS of accommodation options we could list. A litte more information about budget and what you want to see/do in Adelaide is a good idea. Also .. your transportation... do you have a car or will you be utilising public transport.? I am presuming you have a car?

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

We will have a hire car. Our main priority for Adelaide is the pandas at the zoo, but would also like to see the museum, library, Haigh'sand the seahorse farm. If there are other things in Adelaide that are must see would love to know. For accomodation we were hoping self contained for under $250 a night and have seen some nice places at North Adelaide. Would this be a good base for Adelaide?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Hanson Bay cabins is perfect to get back to nature. No TV, no radio, no internet just those fabulous views on the ocean and the beaches. Also perfect to relax at a beach just steps from the cabins and make a beachwalk Fall asleep with the sound of the roaring ocean and say hello to the wallabies and possums that will come to your backdoor. But remember, it's basic and secluded. No luxury. Full kitchen though and wood for the pot belly stove. And great hosts. Keep an eye on your 8 y old and be careful wandering the bush. Sharp rocks. In the evening it's time to play Monopoly with your group or just read a good book. ;) Stock up in KIngscote because no supermarkets. Closest one will be in Vivonne Bay (limited choice)

Tet

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

@ 07cinders,

Yes, North Adelaide is a great base for Adelaide. The zoo is walking distance; as would be North Terrace (museum, library, art gallery) - if you like a walk.

Do you know about pre-booking your tickets for the pandas?

Other things to do and see:

Central Markets (a fresh produce market, a great spot for lunch)

Torrens Lake (paddle boats, wide lawn area, swans)

Visit the RM Williams Outback Heritage Museum

Botanic Gardens

Visit the pigs in the mall - the eight year old will love them

The Beachouse at Glenelg is a 'fun parlour' for children

http://www.thebeachouse.com.au/

…ninemsn.com.au/domesticinsiders/adelaide-li…

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Thanks for the info. Yes I did know about pre booking for the pandas but we are also thinking we might do the early morning panda tour that starts at 8.30. It does cost extra but I think it might be worth it. Has anyone done this tour?

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

07cinders,

Is that the 'Panda and Friends' tour? I think with Panda and Friends you get a guided tour of the zoo afterwards?

I haven't done that one, but I had 'breakfast with the pandas' earlier this year. The big advantage to that was having fewer people in the panda viewing area; as well as seeing the pandas 'released' into their day area - the weighing and temperature taking etc, was all very interesting. From memory this was about the same price as the P&F tour, but it was just the pandas and breakfast, no other guided tour. Was this worth it ? - Yes, on the basis of sharing the space with 50 people instead of 500; and having that little bit longer to observe the pandas, take photographs etc. But it is a lot of money.

I also visited the pandas (with an eight year old as it happens) on Christmas Day, so I have a comparison point.

My general advice is to maximise your time in the giant panda exhibit, that is, stay the full hour - although on that tour you may get a little longer? The longer you stay, the more you see; and Wang Wang and Funi almost take it in turns to be active - ie, when one is having a nap the other will be doing something (usually eating, or looking for something to eat!).

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

@ 07cinders,

Also - if you are taking the McLaren Vale option, there are local playgrounds:

onkaparingafamily.com/children/playgroundmap…

There's a terrific fort-like adventure playground at Port Noarlunga, which could be on your way, or on your way back to the City. Here's a photo:

beachholidayhouse.com.au/port-noarlunga-adve…

There's also a couple of good lolly shops in McLaren Vale.

Although I agree the trip to Victor Harbor and the horse drawn tram over to Granite Island is a good option, I'm not sure I'd try that on the same day as the wineries - depends on how many wineries you'd like to get to.

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

And, back in Adelaide, you can tour the old Adelaide Gaol, either self-guided, or there are organised tours: adelaidegaol.org.au/Adelaide_Gaol_Visit.htm