We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

Hi all,

Appreciate if any member over can advice me as I'm planning to do a self drive 4 days 3 night road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne via Great Ocean road. We intend to drive only in the day. What will be the sequence of stopping over for accomodation for our 3 nights till we reach Melbourne.

Is it safe to book our hotel accomodation only when we are there (great ocean road)? Or prior booking is required?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
651 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

Safe to book when here? - depends on when you are doing the trip and how many in your party - outside school holidays and weekends and if only for 2 it is low risk I'd say, but I usually book in advance because I'm risk-averse.

3 nights - suggest 1) Robe or Mt Gambier, 2) Port Campbell (or Port Fairy/ Warrnambool), 3) Lorne or Apollo Bay.

Lots of threads on GOR - use the search for lots of useful tips.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

When will you be visiting?

How many people in the party?

There is a difference between 'hotel', motel, B&B, and cabin accomodation. The area you will be travelling in is rural Australia and 'hotel' accoms can be very basic - unlike city Hotels which are up-market.

There are quite a number of accommodation types in the towns that have been suggested. Have a look at the www.wotif.com.au site to see if there is something to suite you. Be aware that not all accoms are listed on that site. But it will give you an idea of what is available and the prices.

Send messages to the Information centres asking if there are any events happening over the period you are travelling .

Some of the TA members may be able to help you with that if you advise the dates of your travels.

Please, please, please .... dont' book for 2 people when you have a party of 6! It is giving the Asian travellers a bad name in the accommodation industry!

Edited: 07 February 2011, 13:19
singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

Hi all,

Appreciate your valuable advice. Only me and my wife are planning for the self drive road trip and we plan to do it from 27th Feb to 2nd Mar. Will heed the advice from you guys and try to book in advance for the accomodation at the GOR. Thanks a lot!

Rdgs

David

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

If wine interests you, take the road via Keith through Langhorne Creek and on to the Coonawarra. Visit some cellar doors, recommend Wynns just cos the wines are consistently good and there's so much history there, and also consider Bowen Estate, Penleys, and Patrick (aged Reislings if you're lucky).

Lunch at town of Coonawarra (tiny town before Penola), at Fodders restaurant which has a wood oven and good value food for the quality. Can recommend the duck risotto if they still have on menu.

More choice of accom in Mt. Gambier about 30 minutes on, but Penola has some great little cottage houses if you want to stay somewhere with style.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

We did the same trip (but in reverse) and also stayed at the places mentioned by ActRegular_traveller re. Robe, Port Campbell and Lorne. All were very nice and I can recommend them. We spent another night in Port Cambell to explore GOR in depth more. In Robe try a lobsterdinner and for "another" lobster please do stop in Kingston SE for Larry www.flickr.com/photos/cyberoo/16740682/

We travelled same time as you and came without reservations. Try to be at your hotel no later than 4pm though.

Tet

6. Re: Seeking for advice of driving from Adelaide to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Adelaide