We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for tour downunder

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay for tour downunder

Hi there. I am heading down to the Tour Downunder in January and was wondering where would be the best place to stay? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

See Adelaide - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours
SeaLink Kangaroo Island
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Enjoy Adelaide
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Adelaide Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,666 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for tour downunder

We usually stay out at Glenelg. Being at the beach is a good choice and plenty of eating/drinking options.

Its easy up to the city on the tram for the prologue crit and for the Sunday final. It's also good as the stages out around Adelaide Hills etc don't involve driving in the city and parking is easier if you have a car.

If taking your on bike great options for local rides.

Much of this will already depend on what has been booked up already (Strathalbyn is a great stay but usually books out months ahead for those who want to stay in different places each night)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for tour downunder

Have you checked out the official Tour Down Under web site? www.tourdownunder.com.au They have some excellent weekend package deals and such like on there. If you stay in the CBD, there are coach transfers available ($65 per stage or all 5 stages for $300). The stages are also outlined on the web site so you can suss out the towns for accommodation.

GW's suggestion of Glenelg and the tram is a good one.

FWIW the tour will be going almost past the end of my street so I will be walking down to watch :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for tour downunder

I agree with the posting above but, the package tours can get a little bit pricey. It also depends if you're travelling solo or with a family. If cost is a consideration you might try to opt for a caravan park with onsite cabins. There is one very close to the city, at Hackney www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au

If you are coming for TDU I would set up a base camp and drive to the cycling venues rather than trying to stay in the towns etc. They are not far away. My other advice would be to book ASAP. I recently went to an opening sponsored by TDU and they said that Lance Armstrong's appearances at the last few TDU's have raised visitor numbers for TDU by 50% and although he isn't coming this year the organisers are predicting the higher crowds (and many tourists).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for tour downunder

Thank you so much for all your advice. I will get onto it now!

5. Re: Best place to stay for tour downunder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2013, 10:34