We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

I am going to Australia for the first time (and likely only time because it is so far) for 4 weeks. I already have booked a week long stay in Manly (Sidney) a weekend in Blue Mountains, 5 days in Red Centre (which includes a 3 day camping tour to Uluru, etc) and not yet booked a week in Cairns-Port Douglas. With my remaining time should I go to Adelaide or Melbourne or both? Or should I skip those places and go to the Gold Coast?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm spending a lifetime on the internet researching for this trip - which is both exciting and overwhelming at the same time!

By the way, I am a mid 30's female from Canada travelling solo. I won't have a car but rely on public transit everywhere or a tour. Due to my ambitious itinerary I will be flying from city to city.

Thanks!

See Adelaide - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours
SeaLink Kangaroo Island
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Enjoy Adelaide
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Adelaide Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

when are u coming?

that may have an influence on whether u want to stay more in the north or venture south?

but generally if u have the time it would be good to see both.

both have great places to visit outside the metrop area eg. great ocean road, wilsons prom, phillip island for melb. kangaroo island, fleurieu peninsula, flinders ranges for adelaide.

and both have great wine areas close.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,054 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

You could take the Ghan train from Alice Springs to Adelaide and the Overlander train Adelaide to Melbourne www.greatsouthernrail.com.au

Or fly between destinations www.webjet.com.au

www.southaustralia.com www.visitvictoria.com

Accommodation www.wotif.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Agree with lien - time of year you are visiting will likely be the deciding factor. Also, what are your particular interests, what do you enjoy doing/seeing?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Thats rather a "how long is a piece of string" question. No one can really answer that without knowing about the things which interest you. Both cities have a lot to offer and you will receive two polarised opinions on one or the other based on what OTHERS think and like to do.

Do you want nightclubs? Beaches? what activities do you see yourself doing? Are you a quiet type who enjoys culture or a social type ?

It would help enourmously to know what things interest you when travelling.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I will be there in November. I've already booked things for the first half of the month. I'm looking at flying from Alice Springs to Adelaide then a bus tour to Melbourne via GOR, then fly to Cairns for my last week. Is that reasonable?? If so, any recommendations on a good tour group?

I looked into taking the Ghan train but the dates don't suit and I found it expensive.

I like doing outdoor things, although I can certainly appreciate city attractions. Going to Kangaroo Island to see the wildlife really interests me, as does hiking and surfing (I'm a beginner!!). I'm a fan of shopping, particularly if the bargains are good. :) I also would be interested in seeing the wineries but perhaps I will do that in Hunter Valley. -- Can you see why this process is overwhelming?! :) I just want to get the best Australian experience I can.

Thanks again for any advice!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Ha ha! Very true! I want you all to look into a crystal ball to foresee my perfect trip! :)

No, I'm not interested in the night life aspect I don't feel safe enough since I'm travelling alone. I figure I can do that closer to home. I would put myself more as the quiet type who enjoys culture. If I had to prioritize, I am most interested in doing outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, swimming, snorkelling, attempting to surf, etc.), seeing wildlife and enjoying beautiful scenery.

As for my budget, well I do have one but I'm trying to not let it prevent me from doing things too much. I am going for clean, safe and mostly private accommodations.

I appreciate your feedback everyone!

Edited: 29 August 2012, 02:44
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Just make it even more confusing can I throw

Tasmania into the mix?

If you like the out doors and hiking it's the place to be. It's a very different climate and environment to the other places you plan on visiting. Hobart is a small city with an interesting history and very easy to get around. They have what I consider one of the best art galleries in the world (MONA) and the scenery is amazing.

You could fly to Hobart directly from Sydney.

I would suggest, if you peruse this option, that a rental car is the best way to get the most out of Tassie in a short time. If you don't have access to Skype or similar then phone cards are the best.

The can be purchased at every convenience store. Remember that Australia and New

Zealand are separate countries and you will need different cards for each country.

Also, if you use the landline in a hotel room you will be charged a hefty fee by the hotel for the call.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

I agree with Eva, Tasmania would be my pick too.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Apologies for last 4 paras of my last post which are irrelevant to this thread. TA gremlins hard at work again!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide or Melbourne or both?

Another tick for Tasmania. I would forego Adelaide and Melb for a week in Tassie. There will be other opportunities to see wildlife without having to go to Kangaroo Island (that's not to say KI isn't a great place to visit - I'm just considering time constraints and a well rounded Aussie experience). You should be able to do some surfing in/around Sydney - there will be surf schools that might suit you if you want some lessons too.

Get answers to your questions about Adelaide