We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Australia

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Australia

My husband and I are going to be in Australia soon and are putting together some of our plans.

We are planning to do a tour of a favorite winery in Clare Valley, so we will be spending 2 nights there. However, we also are interested in the red wines that I have been reading about on the forums. We are unsure as to whether we should stay in Adelaide and pick up a day tour from there, or stay in the Barossa Valley itself and find some way to tour around the wineries for a day. We are only planning 2 nights in Barossa.

We both plan to enjoy the wine, and thus do not plan on driving during the day tours/trip to wineries.

As we are "planning" to visit one winery in Clare Valley, we would like to experience more than one in a day in Barossa Valley.

Any tips are appreciated!

Edited: 04 January 2013, 12:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Australia

You can get a bus to Barossa Valley. There is a local taxi service up there as well. It's approx 85kms from Adelaide by car if you want to hire a car and drive there. I'd recommend a GPS unit which hire car companies will rent out. That way you could drive to Clare, stay there then onto Barossa Valley. Barossa Valley is a region so depends on exactly where you are planning to stay. Novotel in Rowland Flat is nice. Tanunda is also a nice town to stay in. Also you've picked the best area for Red Wines. Hope this helps

Edited: 04 January 2013, 12:18
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Australia

If you don't wish to drive IN the regions as you taste then you will need to organise tours. You will have a larger choice of tour operators if you stay in the region itself as they will charge you a premium for a city pickup and you will waste the best part of two hours just getting to and from the Barossa.

Angaston, Tanunda and Lyndoch are lovely areas to base oneself in. The Novotel is a big hotel but many people like the option of Bed and Breakfasts (generally you cook your own breakfast from supplies provided) or the Country House style of accomodation such as Abbotsford where your breakfasts are cooked for you and you can benefit from the knowledge of your hosts (they can often make phone calls and organise transport and exclusive experiences for you depending on your personal tastes)

I would stay IN the Barossa on your way back from Clare (not far at all) and then organise to be driven around the region from your place of accommodation

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Australia

The Barossa tourist office can advise on local tours www.barossa.com

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Australia

I would go on a tour or get a taxi up there to drive you around

Asia
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Australia

Getting on a tour is the easier option.

If on a self drive trip, when you are there for the first time, despite the fact you have maps and GPS, you may not know which winery to visit when you are there and will waste time searching.

Plus the fact that you would be drinking a lot of wine, and thus should not be driving.

But then you can take it there every other driving visitors to the wine yard Drink and Drive and should be no issue.

6. Re: South Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 08:35
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Australia

PCretto - any chance your name is Peter?

In case you aren't aware , self promotion is not allowed on TA .

My apologies if I am on the wrong track...

8. Re: South Australia

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 02:05
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,021 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Australia

Sue - If you bothered to read either the terms and conditions you agreed to, the posting guidelines or even just post #7 here, you would know self promotion is not permitted on TripAdvisor.

10. Re: South Australia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:17