We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Hello...I'm wondering about the length of time we should leave to transfer in the Adelaide airport from a flight from Kangaroo Island to a flight to Sydney. If the KI flight arrives ADL at 8:35 am, would we be able to make at 9:30 am Qantas flight, or is more time needed?

Also, if the flights from KI tend to be unreliable, we're thinking maybe it would be better to take the last flight the previous evening, overnight in Adelaide, and then on to Sydney the next morning? We'd prefer not to, but if it's that or possibly sitting in the Adelaide airport for hours, we'd do it.

(We'll be staying in Adelaide for 4-5 nights before heading for KI for ~3 nights, then on to Sydney for 4 nights).

Many thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,746 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

IME - and i fly to KI at least twice a year- flights are very reliable - and yes 55mins will be plenty of time to transfer to your onward flight.

Anway QF has very frequent flights ADL- SYD - so if you did miss it you wouldnt be waiting hours.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Great - thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

the minimum contect time the airlines advise between rex and qantas is 1.30hr

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,746 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Ummm - that maybe in bigger airports- but since both flights in this case are domestic and all within 1 terminal- 55 mins will be ample especially if the OP has her boarding passes for the onward flight and will only require bag drop.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

I also agree 55mins will be okay & as Nozzie mentioned there is always another flight to Sydney. There are at least eight flights a day from Adelaide to Sydney on Qantas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Thanks everyone - in other posts I mentioned that, upon further research, I was concerned that we'd have too much luggage for the little KI-ADL hopper plane, and those threads confirmed I had reason to worry. Still ironing out our itinerary, but we're planning to take the ferry both ways now.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

hi,

When we visited KI we also had too much luggage due to having been at a business conference in Adelaide before.We just split our bags up & stored our luggage in the lockers located at the airport. They are conveniently located just near the Car Rentals on the ground floor of the multi-level car park; a short walk across the road from the terminal.

Also remember Adelaide Airport is not big & is very easy to navigate around.

adelaideairport.com.au/air-travel/…services

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Thanks, Ellemay. Just making sure I understand correctly: we could store our extra luggage at ADL airport during the few days that we go to KI? (I never considered "long term" luggage storage as a possibility! :))

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

From www.adelaideairport.com.au

"Lockers are located near the car rental offices on the ground floor of the multi-level car park.

If you exceed your anticipated time you will be required to pay the balance on return.

Small (420mm H x 900mm D x 420mm W)

For storing items such as Hand bags, Carry-on luggage, Shopping bags, Small backpacks.

$8.00 per 24 hours.

Medium (520mm H x 900mm D x 420mm W)

For storing items such as Medium size cases, Motorcycle helmet & gear, Large tools, Boxes.

$10.00 per 24 hours.

Large (864mm H x 900mm D x 420mm W)

For storing items such as Large backpacks, Musical instruments, Strollers, variety of sporting equipment.

$12.00 per 24 hours. "

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight KI-Adelaide-Sydney

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Adelaide