We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Singapore
Level Contributor
285 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Hi,

Will be travelling with parents, sister and her husband and their two kids, 2 and 4 years old. Need lme advice as to the places to visit. I have looked up some on the internet. Would appreciate any advice or tips. We will be staying at Semaphore, cottage very near the Esplanade.

1) Hahndorf Animal Farm

2) Beerenberg Strawberry Farm

3) Stella Creek Cherry Farm

4) Fairy-tale Land - is this worth a visit? The website is quite basic.

5) Water Park at Semaphore

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Do not miss Cleland Conservation Park where the children can walk amongst and feed the animals and be photographed with a koala. environment.sa.gov.au/clelandwildlife/Home

Do you mean Fairyland Village at Lobethal . It is more than 20 years since I was there but it was worth a visit with small kids then.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Monarto Zoo would suit all ages and really is worth visiting. Its not your standard zoo.

http://www.zoossa.com.au/monarto-zoo

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

The Adventure Playground at St Kilda would be on my list for consideration if you're up around Semaphore it's not so far away.

Singapore
Level Contributor
285 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Yes yes, I do mean Fairyland Village. That seems interesting from the perspective of kid growing up on fairy tales. Thanks for the feedback.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Also do a Dolphin 2 hour cruise in the Port River. Very cheap, kids will love being on a large boat and hopefully you will see a few dolphins,not guarantee to see dolphins though.

Glenelg, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

My kids have always loved Semaphore - water park, rides (during school holidays) the train along the foreshore and it has a decent playground. Victor Harbor is another favourite destination - horse tram over to Granite Island, penguins (do check the site to make sure it's not moulting time) fantastic playground, Whale Museum, Cockle Train, good swimming at Pt Elliot, magnificent bakery at Pt Elliot, too! Someone else has mentioned Cleland which is great. What time of year are you visiting? It will have an impact on what's on. There's some good playgrounds around if you're taking it slowly. But Fairyland Village is pretty tired and not worth the trip.

Glenelg, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Thought of some other things, too. If you're in the Hills and like chocolate then there' Melba's Chocolates at Woodside. Up the road from there is Barrister's Block Winery - haven't been there myself but friends tell me thatthere's stuff for the kids (animals, etc). Also, Beerenberg strawberry farm where you can pick your own at Hahndorf. If you're going into the city and want to plan some time for the kids to run around, the Botanical Gardens are great ( and free). At the Fibonacci? Cafe you can grab a coffee and watch the kids play in the fountain. Donwn along the Torrens River you can catch a trip on Popeye (a favourite of Adelaide kids for decades) - an open boat that goes between the zoo and the Festival Theatre. Don't forget some bread for the ducks and swans! There's also paddleboats there. Just outside the CBD at Thebarton, theres Bonython Park which has a great adventure playground but could be a bit much for the 2 year old. If you want to see some bushland close to the city, try Belair National Park - a fairly gentle place but again, a favourite with my kids since they were tiny ( barbecues there if you want to do that) - great playground. Check out Council websites for local activities - Semaphore is in the Port Adelaide Enfield Council.

Singapore
Level Contributor
285 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Thanks guys! I had a really great time picking strawberries at Bereenberg. Unfortunately the cherry season failed last Dec, so that was off. I also didn't manage to visit the Semaphore water park even though I live 10 min away. The beach at Semaphore is fantastic. So was the cottage I stayed in. Superb location. Hahndorf was a must visit, cos I love pork knuckle and German beer.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
1,343 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

Thanks for sharing :)

10. Re: What to visit - two young kids - advice appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15