We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

London, England
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

We loved it here and wish that more visitors to Australia would take the time to visit Adelaide and SA! It's baffling why it doesn't have greater popularity. Adelaide is a compact and very civilised city - a great contrast to our stay in Sydney which was vibrant, but intense and mega-busy. Adelaide is more laid-back and that's no bad thing for visitors. The central area is laid out on a strict grid system bounded by 4 "Terraces" and bus/tram services are free within this area. There is also free wifi within the CBD, which is really useful.

The city is a great mix of modern buildings and surviving Victorian architecture and the Museum of South Australia is excellent, ditto the eclectic SA Art Gallery next door to it on North Terrace. The cricket ground is lovely and my husband has decided that if he ever watches a Test Match again in Oz (he must be a masochist...) he would prefer to watch it in Adelaide. Eating out seems to be an Adelaide preoccupation: there must be more cafés/restaurants here than anywhere else: you will never go hungry and it will be a rare cuisine that isn't represented. We ate in a different place every night (will do some reviews) and thanks to the responders to our recent TA question about places to eat. So many restaurants and only one stomach: we abandoned all thoughts of having lunch.

The timing our visit has coincided with the record breaking heat wave and that has curtailed some of our activities: 45 degrees is just too damned hot to be doing tourist stuff outside, apart from early morning. Even the evenings in the city have been baking. Our hotel (Crowne Plaza - very good) has been handing out bottles of water to guests as they leave the hotel, imploring them to keep hydrated. We took the tram to Glenelg and hit the beach for a few hours one morning, where it was several degrees cooler than the city. The Botanical Garden is great (their Museum is very interesting) and the Central Markets were well worth a visit. The central shopping area along Rundle Mall is very good, with loads of restaurants nearby along Rundle St and Gouger St. We have developed a liking for Coopers Pale Ale!

We would have liked to do a day trip on the Murray River but unfortunately the timings for us didn't fit: something for next time. Overall, we unreservedly recommend Adelaide as a great place to visit, although avoiding a period of 45 degree heat will be preferable! Next stop, Perth...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

Sue - I concur with your thoughts on Adelaide having lived there for two years. It is a very civilised city, well laid out, easy to navigate and great eateries. I loved Coopers Pale Ale and you can buy it in Perth.

Don't expect easy navigation and well laid out to apply to Perth...please ? LOL Our restaurants and cafes have lifted their game in recent times but still more expensive than Adelaide.

Oh and it's going to be hot here this weekend...Enjoy!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

I was just telling a friend today that I need to get my butt back to SA.

Think I'll wait until it cools off though.

Have fun in Perth.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

Thanks sue... :) great endorsement.. We love our city and we know how special it is and also how central it is to some lifetime experiences.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

Lovely report Sue, thanks for taking the time to post. I visited Adelaide quite a few times when I was young and I always liked it very much.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

Hi,

I agree Adelaide is my favourite Australian city, What a shame about the weather for six months it is lovely, for two months bareable and for two months in Summer and two months in winter (without the snow) it's rubbish!

Cheers,

Edited: 17 January 2014, 09:32
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

thanks very much for taking the time to write a report

it is always interesting how visitors experience the home town

also pleased you enjoyed your stay

sorry about the heat - the cool change has arrived now so come back

London, England
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It was our pleasure to experience Adelaide and we'll try to return: shame it's such a long way from the UK!

8. Re: Adelaide: a great place, so please visit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18